Relationships and form data entry to multiple tables

Creating and using forms
ThruBlueLenses

Relationships and form data entry to multiple tables

Post by ThruBlueLenses »

I have a research project collecting data from Bible references, Hebrew terms, and free text notes. The lowest level is Verse with pk_id and Verse. It is linked to Chapter which has pk_id, Chapter, and fk_verse_id (with Verse.pk_id and Chapter.fk_verse_id as the one:many relationship). Likewise, I follow the pattern for Verse -> Chapter -> Book -> BibleRef. Each has a relationship established one:many from the child to parent. Each is a separate table.

My goal is to create new records in BibleRef (being able to populate data from Book, Chapter, Verse) adding notes. I want to be able to delete or modify any record in BibleRef without deleting the data in the related tables (Book, Chapter, Verse = BCV). I have created a dropdown list for each field of BCV on a form which will create a BibleRef record; however, I am failing to populate the fields on more than one table, e.g., the BCV tables. Should I Update Cascade but not Delete Cascade? What else needs to happen to populate multiple fields on one form?

Will this configuration work? I am attaching the relationship window. The Citation and Inflexion material are not currently in use, but the solution to the above should also apply to those tables.

Mark
Attachments
Psalms_Land_odb___Psalms_Land.pdf
(100.37 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
LibreOffice 7.1.0.3 and OpenOffice 4.1.8 on MacOS 11.2.1
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Relationships and form data entry to multiple tables

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice