[Solved] Create Datasheet subform in design view?

Creating and using forms
widowmaker

[Solved] Create Datasheet subform in design view?

Post by widowmaker »

Is it possible to create a datasheet subform in design view and if not, is there a way to edit or add additional fields into an existing data sheet sub form?

Thanks for any helpful input.
Widowmaker
Last edited by RoryOF on Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 on Linux Mint 19.3
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Create Datasheet subform in design view?

Post by Villeroy »

There are tutorials for this on this forum in the section for Base tutorials. The most important tool is the form navigator window accessible from toolbar "Form Design". You can build arbitrary complex hierarchies of forms and subforms. The form wizard does not even cover 10% of the possibilities.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
widowmaker

Post by widowmaker »

Thank You Villeroy, for responding to my question, however it did not give me the results I was looking for. I guess I should be a bit more forthcoming as to my goals here.

I am an old fart that is in poor health, simply trying to build 3 databases before I pass away, in order to make things easier for my descendants.

Since I do not have a college or even a high school education, I have always found it a bit harder to understand many things as opposed to some others, however many years ago before I started loosing my memory, I was able to write computer programs, using basic and saving my data to tapes.

I was also able to create video rental databases for commercial enterprises, almost 20 years ago, using Access, but that was before I started loosing my memory.

My problem now is that I can no longer use Access, since it doesn’t work on Linux. So I am trying to learn a new format. I have read multiple tutorials,. books and message boards trying to find answers to my many questions, but between having trouble comprehending much of what I read and forgetting the rest, it has been slow going.

That is why I ended up on this message board. I was hoping I could find a few straight and easy answers as to how I can obtain certain results.

So, here is my question in more specific detail. One of the databases I am creating contains data on stock trades. I am trying to convert 10+ worth of spread sheet data over to a database.

I have created a form based on a table called Trades. That form has a datasheet subform that is linked to a query. This subform displays data such as how many times a stock was purchased and/or sold, any dividends received, fees, commissions, total investments per brokerage account and per stock, etc.,

After creating the query, I discovered that I needed to add a new field to the table and query the sub query datasheet is based on. All I am trying to do is find the easiest way to add a new column into the subform, containing the existing datasheet that will display the results of this new field.

So, to the point, I would like to edit the existing data sheet, to display the new field,. If that is not possible, I would like to simple delete the existing data sheet and create a new one without having to replace the existing main form

If anyone could give me a simple explanation as to how I could accomplish either one of those goals, I would really appreciate it.
widowmaker

Post by widowmaker »

I finally figured it out. Sometimes it is the most obvious things in life that can be the hardest to find answers to.

All I had to do was opposite click on the datasheet column in order to add another field, just like in a query.