Updating in master documents

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
GerryC

Updating in master documents

Post by GerryC »

In a master document, in the Navigator I select a subdocument, then click EDIT. The subdocument opens, I edit it, and then Close it, thus returning me to the master. In the Navigator I click UPDATE, but my recent changes do NOT appear.

The only way I've found to make them appear is to exit the master, then re-enter it and answer YES when asked "Update all links?" What am I missing?

Regardless what my signature says, I'm running 4.1.5 on Windows 10.
Gerry, Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Updating in master documents

Post by John_Ha »

GerryC wrote:In a master document, in the Navigator I select a subdocument, then click EDIT. The subdocument opens, I edit it, and then Close it, thus returning me to the master. In the Navigator I click UPDATE, but my recent changes do NOT appear.
Correct.

To see any edits updated (note if you edit a sub-document you do not have to save it before the edits show) you must either

a) l-click the UPDATE icon and open the drop down menu and select ALL, or
b) r-click the sub-document > Update > choose SELECTION (to update just that file) or ALL to update all.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.