[Solved] Headers/footers in master documents

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
GerryC

[Solved] Headers/footers in master documents

Post by GerryC »

My first foray into master documents. My subdocuments all have footers, but they do not seem to come into the master document. I think I can see why-- they might conflict with each other.
But how can I put a footer into the master? (I at least want to number the pages.)

GerryC
Last edited by GerryC on Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gerry, Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
GerryC

Re: Headers/footers in master documents

Post by GerryC »

I updated my signature, but I see it still shows my old one. I'm actually running 4.1.5 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I updated my signature, but I see it still shows my old one.
User Control Panel - Profile (TAB) - Edit signature (Sub-TAB) - modify the text of the signature - Submit (button)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Master documents are tricky. You can have several or one sub document and a few different master documents that contain(s) those files or that single file. Except that in each master document you define the paragraph, character and page styles differently. Then you can publish your documents in a magazine using the formatting in one master document and in a book, using the formatting in another master document. The trick is that in the master document, you use styles with the same names as the styles in the sub documents. The style settings in the master document will then override those in the sub documents. If that sounds very abstract, please read again. :) This is difficult stuff.

Set the header and footer settings for each page style in the master document as you wish - enable or disable numbering where needed. Don't insert pages to insert page number fields - the master document must use the content in the headers and footers as defined in the sub documents. Make sure that they're set consistently in the sub documents.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You need to read the Master Documents documentation to use Master Documents fully. See the Writer Guide Chapter 13 - Working with Master Documents and search for Creating and Using Master Documents.pdf.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
GerryC

Post by GerryC »

floris v wrote:Master documents are tricky. You can have several or one sub document and a few different master documents that contain(s) those files or that single file. Except that in each master document you define the paragraph, character and page styles differently. Then you can publish your documents in a magazine using the formatting in one master document and in a book, using the formatting in another master document. The trick is that in the master document, you use styles with the same names as the styles in the sub documents. The style settings in the master document will then override those in the sub documents. If that sounds very abstract, please read again. :) This is difficult stuff.

Set the header and footer settings for each page style in the master document as you wish - enable or disable numbering where needed. Don't insert pages to insert page number fields - the master document must use the content in the headers and footers as defined in the sub documents. Make sure that they're set consistently in the sub documents.
Thanks for the incisive reply! So page style is where I should do this.

But I must still be missing something-- I tried it and the little graphic in the Edit Page Style menu shows a footer on the page, but in the actual document I get a second footer in addition to the one that results from INSERT/FOOTER, and I can't enter any contents into that second footer.

The point has become moot since I realized I could do what I want with a document of linked sections, so don't waste effort on additional replies.

Thanks again!!
GerryC

Post by GerryC »

Floris --
I got into more trouble with the linked sections, but in the process I did make style names consistent. Not getting satisfactory results with the linked sections I went back to a master document for another try and -- VOILA! -- everything had fallen right into place.

Thanks again!!!
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Thanks for getting back to us. :)
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum