[Solved] Use of Version Management (VM) [File - Versions]

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
nrgeng

[Solved] Use of Version Management (VM) [File - Versions]

Post by nrgeng »

I am a new Forum User. I hope that I am posting this problem correctly. Thanks for any help.

In working with my editor on an article, I am unable to engage VM in Writer. My intent is to track the revisions made by two or three entities in preparing the article for publication.

In [File - Versions], Versions is always greyed out and thus cannot be engaged.

I have read all of the many entries in OpenOffice Help including "Comparing Versions of a Document," but I am unable to obtain any operation of VM.

Please direct me to a tutorial or other source of information on this subject so that I can work with my editor to publish my article.

Question: Could a "bug" exist with VM?

Platform: Win 10 Pro, Writer v4.1.6

Ps: In the past, I was able to collaborate with others using the revision tracking functions within Writer, but now, not at all with this version.
Last edited by nrgeng on Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
nrgeng
OpenOffice v4.1.6
Win 10 & Win 10 Pro
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Use of Version Management (VM) [File - Versions]

Post by Zizi64 »

What a file type are you using? .odt? .doc?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Do you mean Edit > Record changes ..., where different users make changes to a document which you can then accept or reject? If so, see Tracking changes to a document in Chapter 3.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.

See the Timestamp Backup extension for AOO and LO which creates "time stamped" versions. You need to manage the different versions yourself.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

nrgeng wrote:In working with my editor on an article, I am unable to engage VM in Writer. My intent is to track the revisions made by two or three entities in preparing the article for publication.
This is engaged using Edit > Changes > Record.
nrgeng wrote:In [File - Versions], Versions is always greyed out and thus cannot be engaged.
This a different type of "versions". It saves different versions of complete documents in one file. It is not used for comparing documents edited by different users.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04