[Issue] Problem with setting a starting page number

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
DavTon505

[Issue] Problem with setting a starting page number

Post by DavTon505 »

I have followed the instructions to set a starting page number for a document by clicking into the first paragraph, choosing Format > Paragraph > Text flow, and in the Breaks area enabling Insert and With Page Style, setting the page number to 275 and then finally clicking OK.

The document has the starting page number 275 at this time. However, when I save it as a .doc file and reopen it with Open Office Writer, the starting page number is 19. If I save the document as a .odt file and reopen it with Open Office Writer, the starting page number is 275. The really confusing thing is when I open the .doc file in Microsoft Works Word Processor, the starting page number is 275.

Using Open Office Writer, how can I see the correct page number "275" on the first page of the document I saved in .doc format?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
Open Office Version 4.1.5.
Microsoft Windows 10.
RoryOF

Re: Problem with setting a starting page number

Post by RoryOF »

I doubt you can. 19+256 = 275. This is obviously some form of arithmetic problem. You could try Saving from MS Works and see if that file is any better in Mr Word.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
DavTon505

Post by DavTon505 »

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but that made no difference whatsoever.
Microsoft Windows 10.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please remember that the .doc format is a proprietary one, not designed to be compatible with anything else than MS Office.
If you need to work with .doc, then stick to MS Word.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

It's a bug in the AOO import filter. LO shows the correct page number.

Issue 50334 - WW8: Page number starting higher than 255 not handled by import
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
DavTon505

Re: [Issue] Problem with setting a starting page number

Post by DavTon505 »

Thanks for the information. This bug did not exist a few versions ago when I was able to create documents with starting page numbers above 255 and save them in .doc format; when I reopened them in past versions the page numbers displayed correctly. The problem began in a relatively recent version, but I don't know which one.

Do you or anyone else have any idea as to when this problem will be fixed?
Microsoft Windows 10.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The problem was reported in 2005, so it has been around since before OOo 2. I doubt that anyone is working on the issue.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
DavTon505

Post by DavTon505 »

Thanks again, Bill. I appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. I guess not enough people have this problem to justify anyone working on a fix. Now that I understand the issue better, I will just save all my files with starting page numbers over 255 in .odt format.
Microsoft Windows 10.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

DavTon505 wrote:Using Open Office Writer, how can I see the correct page number "275" on the first page of the document I saved in .doc format?
See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.

It discusses page style and page numbering problems which arise when you save as a .doc which do not happen when you save as a .odt.
Attachments
MS files.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.