Setting Writer Defaults for New User Logins

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
FHL

Setting Writer Defaults for New User Logins

Post by FHL »

I understand setting write defaults (ie: setting .doc to be default file type) however if a new user logs into a computer which has OpenOffice installed, OpenOffice installs properly but I cannot get the write defaults to follow, requiring manually to set the defaults for any new user that logs into a computer. We are trying to use OpenOffice as our standard wordprocessor but this inability to save the default for new user logins is causing us a problem. Any ideas? Or where should I be asking this question? Thank you.
Open Office 4.1.3 Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Setting Writer Defaults for New User Logins

Post by Zizi64 »

I understand setting write defaults (ie: setting .doc to be default file type) however if a new user logs into a computer which has OpenOffice installed, OpenOffice installs properly but I cannot get the write defaults to follow, requiring manually to set the defaults for any new user that logs into a computer. We are trying to use OpenOffice as our standard wordprocessor but this inability to save the default for new user logins is causing us a problem.
Maybe I not understood your question...
- Do you want to set the OpenOffice as the default associated editor for the .doc format for every Users of that computer?
- Or do you want to set the .doc file format as the default output file type of the OpenOffice, for all Users?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

It sounds to me like each user has their own log-in information on the computer system that Open Office is installed on.
Additionally it sounds like OP wants the Open Office settings (aka user profile) to be specific to that user, yet have some specifics be preset for all users.'
If this is the case, then it sounds like Open Office was installed successfully, but only for the current user, not all users.
I don't know if doing a Repair of the installation (via Windows 7 control panel) will allow the installation to be changed from current to all, but you could try it.
Alternatively, and this will definitely work, uninstall Open Office, then reinstall it for All Users. This may have to be done using the Custom Installation option.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
FHL

Post by FHL »

Thank you all for your reply. We are using Version 4.1.3 We have associated .doc file type to OpenOffice in the windows operating system, no problem. Issue is when another user logs into the computer, and the operating system sets them up a new desktop, the defaulting OpenOffice program does not include the default setting (ie: for having OpenOffice always save in write to file type .doc versus the OpenOffice default file type). Does anyone know how to set the default in OpenOffice so that when a new user logs in (sets up a new desktop for them) that it defaults to the preferred default settings? I understand that reinstall will hit All Users but what I am trying to do is set it up for all future users on that machine. So that OpenOffice won't have the OpenOffice file type as the default.
Open Office 4.1.3 Windows 7
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

In my opinion, changing the default file type from .odt is a bad idea.
The .doc extension actually encompasses a few different versions, not all of which are compatible with other versions, despite the fact that the extension is the same.
The only option that I can think of to do what you seem to be asking for, is to require an admin to set-up the new user settings, and make a copy of a profile that already has the changes made to it to the new profile location.
This could be done using a DOS batch file if it seems like it might be needed a lot.
If it's just going to be for a few people (ie: up to 6 for example), then I wouldn't bother writing the batch file, but just do the copy/paste of the user profile to the new location.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

FHL,

always store your documents in the International Standard ODF fileformats - if you want to work efficiently with the Apache OpenOffice and the LibreOffice. Export a copy into the foreign fileformats at end of editing, if you needed it. But open the native ODF fileformat ones, if you need reedit them.

There is not (never was, and never will be) 100% compatibility between the different fileformats. You will lost some formatting properties, and you will in trouble with the continous converting. The AOO and the LO can edit a document in the native fileformat only, therefore the software always will convert the foreign fileformat files at opening and the saving procedure. The frequent conversion is the root of many problems.
The binary fileformats of the MS never was Standardized.
The ODF is an real International Standard for the office suites. The newest versions of the MS Office can open the ODF fileformats. The MS publishad an another Standard for the office fileformats, named OOXML. That "Standard" has two versions: the Strict and the Transitional ones. The MS Office uses the Transitional one, because developers of the MS can modify the "standard" when they want it. It is wery hard job to follow a frequently changed "Standard", therefore the conversion between the OOXML Transitional and the ODF fileformat is never will be perfect.

The AOO can open the OOXML files (docx, xlsx, ...) but can not save into that fileformat. The LibreOffice can open the OOXML filetype documents, and it can save into fileformat of the the STRICT version of the OOXML Standard.
The MSO Users must set the saving properties in the MS Office suite to Strict version of the OOXML Standard, if they want to open an OOXML strict document without any problem. This setting located in the depth of the settings of the MSO.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Kraft

Post by Kraft »

Hi.
I use both OpenOffice Writer and Word programs. I used to write better in Word because I can setting ONLY a time, the format of letter (characters), size, space, merging and other stuff for my personal needs, then it keep for every time that I pen a new page or document, and it save automatically ALL documents in WORD in same format, always.
While Open Office is better to Paste after copy Images, or photos, very practical, and I can manipulate quickly the adjustment, but I need change the format to save it.
BUT I am VERY upset about the impossibility to setup the formation, as mentioned above as Word, in a single time.
Every time that I will work in a new page or document. I am forced to multiply the work to setting new format before to save it. The program suppose to facilitate the work, and not complicate, and that why Open Office will be always inferior quality when compare with Microsoft Word.
The programmers, only copy the functions to introduce in this program of the OpenOffice Writer, but they don't verify the operations, I means WHO people works in it, WHERE is the failures, the errors, the weak points. They lunch this program without testing or verify its operations.
OK, OpenOffice offer many formats, able to change EVERYTYME, ( without setting) but some of them we cannot open with other word programs. Some computer for example of public libraries, cannot READ or open it our documents saved OpenOffice documents, then it indicate as ERORS. So, we cannot print our documents also, because the computer cannot recognize it.
Normally, I choice the format Microsoft word 97\ 2000 \ XP to save the documents and open with another Write program, and in PDF to print it; otherwise, it is unable to print my documents also.
In other format that OpenOffice offer to be saved, after to reopen again it appear erased images, or photos, or any kind of graphics, or yet, it appear as a code no understanding because it does not have compatibility on different formats.
Here, OpenOffice have a big problems that need to solve.
Thank you to read.
Last edited by RoryOF on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed redundant duplicate text to facilitate reading [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1.3 , Browser: Opera
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

In other format that OpenOffice offer to be saved, after to reopen again it appear erased images, or photos, or any kind of graphics, or yet, it appear as a code no understanding because it does not have compatibility on different formats.
Dear Kraft, you misunderstood the compatibility reason of the different fileformats.

The binary fileformats of the Microsoft (xls, doc, etc...) never was standardized, never was published the description of the structure - until the last years. And this fileformat has a lot of different versions. (For example Word for DOS, Word6, Word95, Word97\2000 \XP, Word 2002, etc...)

The "new" OOXML standard (xlsx, docx, etc...) has two different main version: the Strict and the Transitional one. MS can change the rules of the Transitional version of the "Standard" when they want it - without publishing the changes. How can follow other softwares this method??? The developers of the AOO dropped the "Save to OOXML" function, the developers of the LO force (trying) to follow the undocumented changes. But better to use the Strict version of the OOXML standard.
But the MS save the documents into the Transitional version by default. You can change this option in the newer version of the MS Office: the MSO will save the documents into the Strict version of the "OOXML Standard".

The native fileformat of the AOO and LO is the ODF (Open Document Format) It is a real, clear, well-documented Industrial Standard. It is a best for long time safe storing of the important documents.

And there are other "document" formats like RTF, TXT, ect... These formats have poor capability of the formatting properties. It is not depends on the "knowledge" of the Office Suites.

Therefore there is no way to achieve the 100% compatibility between the different fileformats.
Always use the NATIVE fileformat of the texteditors and Office Suites, and export (save) a COPY of the document into the foreign fileformats at the end of the editing.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Kraft wrote:Hi.

Every time that I will work in a new page or document. I am forced to multiply the work to setting new format before to save it. .
You need to create a new Writer template and make it your default template. AOO does not overwrite a template every time you make a change.

AOO does most things as well or better than Word, it does not always do them the same way.

Create a template
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04