[Solved] How to reduce font size to 3

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
Oppofix

[Solved] How to reduce font size to 3

Post by Oppofix »

Hi friends,

several weeks ago I've read, that it is possible to reduce font/line size in OpenOffice to 3 (or any other low number above 2) in a simple way: just by inscribing "3 " in the font size box of the menu. I then tried it, but in vain; the inserted number disappeared instantly.

Die I disregard anything?

Thanks for your help
Oppofix
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1
Windows 8.1 / 64 bit
Bill
Volunteer

Re: How to reduce font size to 3

Post by Bill »

Did you press Enter after typing 3 in the box?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
EdIsenberg

Post by EdIsenberg »

I believe it also helps if you put in a font rather than leave that box blank. If you are trying to insert a tiny amount of vertical blank space, use something like Arial or Times New Roman. Some fonts like Arial Black seem to have minimum sizes even when you set the paragraph to 2pts. Finally, I have not had luck with font sizes below 2pts, but that's possibly just something with me.

If anything fixes your problem please at a minimum go to the first message you posted on this topic and change the first part of the subject to "[SOLVED] ". As an example, subject "ABC DEF" would become "[SOLVED] ABC DEF". If several people have suggested different solutions and only one has worked, please also mention which one so in the future if someone has the same problem they can read your last post and know what to do.
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

All fonts have minimum sizes, however, what that minimum is varies by the font.
If you try to specify a font size that is below the minimum size, you end up with either an attempt by the operating system to generate characters that small (usually too small for realistic usage) or you get the minimum size.
As Ed Isenberg stated, ensuring that the font style is specified before changing/attempting to change the font size is highly recommended.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Oppofix

Post by Oppofix »

Dear OO-friends,

indeed the case is as simple as Bill has sniffed: I didn't press the enter key and so the new number vanished each time.

I want to thank all interested in this possibility to reduce the line space for their helpful contributions.

Oppofix
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1
Windows 8.1 / 64 bit
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I want to thank all interested in this possibility to reduce the line space for their helpful contributions.
Do you want to adjust the space between the lines by appliing a small sized empy line??? It is not the better solution.
Use the spacing property of the paragraph styles, and use the styles generally instead of the direct formatting properties.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Oppofix

Re: [Solved] How to reduce font size to 3

Post by Oppofix »

Hi Zizi64

special thanks to you for the indeed generally better solution with the paragraph style (under --> Format --> Paragraph --> Indents and Spacing). The solution I proposed is just a momentanous one.

Oppofix
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1
Windows 8.1 / 64 bit