[Solved] 1 Chapter only footers don't show chapter #s/names

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
EdIsenberg

[Solved] 1 Chapter only footers don't show chapter #s/names

Post by EdIsenberg »

In one chapter and only one chapter, the Chapter Number and Chapter Name fields are somehow blank. Here are two images that will show you what I'm talking about. The first shows the first page of "Chapter 16: Humanity in Crisis," which starts on the right side. The footers of the preceding 3 pages of the previous chapter and the headers of this chapter are correct, as noted by green arrows. However, on the first page of Chapter 16, the Chapter Name field is blank, as noted by the red arrow. Also, in the Navigator pane on the left, notice that for Chapter 16 there's an extra line (or possibly 2) of space before Chapter 17 is displayed, as noted by the yellow arrow.
Chapter 16 Footer Problem 1 of 2.png
These two pages are both in Chapter 16. Here you can see again that both the Chapter Number and Chapter Name fields are blank, as noted by the two red arrows.
Chapter 16 Footer Problem 2 of 2.png
I don't know how to populate the Chapter Number or Name fields; they seemed automatic for all other chapters. The Chapter Name is formatted using the same style as I've used on all other Chapter Names. The Chapter Numbers are automatically generated.

The Chapter Number & Name: "Chapter 16: Humanity in Crisis," does appear correctly in the Table of Contents.

This is one of the most serious problems I have in my novel, as I can't publish it until it gets fixed.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's help solving this problem.
Last edited by EdIsenberg on Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: 1 Chapter only footers don't show chapter #s & names

Post by Zizi64 »

How many different page styles are you using in your document?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The screen shots don't show any formatting aids that would help diagnose the problem. Please enable the options "Field Shadings, Field Names and Nonprinting Characters" on the View menu and upload screen shots for the first three pages of Chapter 14 and Chapter 16 and tell us what page styles are applied to those pages.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There is a setting in the paragraph properties to set it as a heading level (without applying the heading style).
Double click the blank in the Navigator, then Edit Paragraph and in the Outline & Numbering tab, change the Outline level to Body text.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
EdIsenberg

Post by EdIsenberg »

This is for Bill (and those who are interested in what page format is applied). These are the first 3 pages of Chapter 16 (the problem chapter) and Chapter 14 (a normal chapter).

Chapter 16 Page 1
Chapter 16 Page 1 - Bill.png
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
EdIsenberg

Post by EdIsenberg »

I am having trouble uploading page 2. Please bear with me.
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
EdIsenberg

Post by EdIsenberg »

Does anyone know why I can upload Chapter 16 Page 1 & Chapter 14 Page 1 (the latter I tried & it worked, but I didn't actually upload it). HOWEVER, I cannot upload Chapter 16 Page 2 or Page 3 !!! I have double-checked by finding the files using explorer & opening them, and they open correctly.

What happens is I do the normal Upload attachment | Choose FIle | Add the File | process, but while the first page appears and I can put it in-line, nothing happens after I Add the file with pages 2 & 3.

This is my life. Simple things don't work. That's the problem that sparked these questions, and now I can't even post screen shots consistently. If I were paranoid... <g>

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
EdIsenberg

Post by EdIsenberg »

For Hagar
Postby Hagar Delest » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:50 pm

There is a setting in the paragraph properties to set it as a heading level (without applying the heading style).
Double click the blank in the Navigator, then Edit Paragraph and in the Outline & Numbering tab, change the Outline level to Body text.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
Chapter 16 FOR HAGAR DELEST Navigator on blank space.png
As you can see, the outline text is dimmed out.

If I am supposed to be working on somewhere else, would you mind being more specific starting after I highlight the missing text in Navigator.. Also, you might note Chapter 16 Page 1, which I've already uploaded. The same page format is used for this chapter and alll the others.

Ed
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
EdIsenberg

Post by EdIsenberg »

To Zizi64:
Postby Zizi64 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:38 am

How many different page styles are you using in your document?
I only use one page style for the entire novel. You might look at the image I uploaded called Chapter 16 Page 1. On the right side you'll see the page format is FoP Normal. I'm going to upload page 1 of Chapter 14 to show that it's the same.

Ed
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
EdIsenberg

Post by EdIsenberg »

To Bill:

I'm giving you Chapter 14 Page 1. I can't upload pages 2 & 3 for either chapter, even if I try in separate Replies.

The different pages all look the same to me.
Chapter 14 Page 1 - Bill.png
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I only use one page style for the entire novel. You might look at the image I uploaded called Chapter 16 Page 1. On the right side you'll see the page format is FoP Normal. I'm going to upload page 1 of Chapter 14 to show that it's the same.
It is not possible to check and examine the settings of the Pages, the Outline numbering, and the Paragraph styles based on the attached pictures.
Please upload the real .odt type document here (replace the all of the letters with "x" character in a copy of the original document, if you want not share the original text.)
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Put the insertion point in that heading, and press ctrl+M, then ctrl+1. Does that change anything at all?
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

EdIsenberg wrote:As you can see, the outline text is dimmed out.
That is to be expected. Because it's a heading style.
Just double-click the blank entry in the Navigator and in the Stylist (F11), double-click the Default paragraph style (or any other style for text.
EdIsenberg

Post by EdIsenberg »

Zizi64

I am trying to cooperate. Please understand that I trust you, but I just have this policy that no one, not even my friends who have read the document looking for problems, gets an electronic version. That's cost me money to ship roughly 400-page documents around to a couple dozen people more than once, but it's a rule that was told to me to follow by I don't know how many authors and writing advisors.

So I've tried to do what you suggested and replace all text with "x"s. I've tried searching (with expressions on) for ".", [:alpha:], and other search strings, but each time it skips paragraphs consistently but at random as to which ones. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, since I'm following instructions in "Find and Replace"'s Help under "List of Regular Expressions ".

To be honest, I'm thinking of paying for Microsoft Word and going through what is probably a laborious task of making sure all the formatting stays or replacing those elements that don't. I really don't want to do this, especially when the final version is due to go to the printer later this month. I'm just tired of so many areas where OOWriter just doesn't seem to work as expected. At this point I'm spending all my time on getting around the problems with OOWriter, rather than getting my novel ready to publish.

I await your suggestion as to how I can replace the text with x's.

Ed
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

See this topic which has instructions on how to anonymise your document. As it is likely over 128 kb you will need to post it on a file sharing service such as dropbox or mediafire
 Edit: Fix typo which broke link 
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
EdIsenberg

Post by EdIsenberg »

Keme:
Put the insertion point in that heading, and press ctrl+M, then ctrl+1. Does that change anything at all?
I have tried doing that several different ways. I've highlighted the portion of the missing text in the Navigation pane & pressed ctrl+M, I've clicked within the text & pressed ctrl+M, & placed the cursor in the footer & pressed ctrl+M. Nothing happens. In desperation I've searched for somewhere in the menu structure where I could find an M (underscore-M), and clicked on it, which is in INSERT | FOOTER | FoP Normal. It warned me and then removed all footers and more. I never did figure out where to press ctrl-1.

Could you please be more specific about where the cursor is supposed to be when I press ctrl+M, then ctrl+1? Also, if you don't mind, tell me what menu items I should choose if the "ctrl+M, then ctrl+1" combination continues to do nothing.

Thanks,

Ed
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Ctrl + M is the keyboard shortcut for Format | Default Formatting: Ctrl + 1 is the keyboard shortcut for Heading 1 formatting.

See these and all the other keyboard shortcuts - and change them or add new ones - under Tools | Customise | Keyboard
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I await your suggestion as to how I can replace the text with x's.
As robleyd did linked it:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=8289#p59232
Anonymize your data
You can often remove confidential data while preserving the structure of a document by using OOo's Find and Replace feature. E.g. you can use

Edit > Find & Replace
Search for: [a-z]
Replace with: x
Options: Match case: YES, Regular expressions: YES
Replace all.

Repeat the above using [A-Z] and X to scramble the upper case letters, and [0-9] and 0 to scramble numeric data.
EdIsenberg

Post by EdIsenberg »

Robleyd: Thanks for the explanation. Ctrl-M didn't change anything. Ctrl-1 did change the format to Heading 1, as you expected, but it didn't change the footer, which is still missing the Chapter # on the left page and the Chapter Name on the right page. I have reformatted the chapter name at the top of the chapter to be the same as on other chapters, to no effect. I've also deleted and reinserted the Chapter # & Name fields in the footers, but no joy from that either.

I'm going to try someone else's suggestion as to how to replace text with X's. However, I have a question: the book is 356 pages, 110k words, and 1.8MB. I'm wonding where I'm supposed to upload it, and whether it will be too big...

Ed
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I'm wonding where I'm supposed to upload it, and whether it will be too big...
Upload it onto a free file sharing service and then share it its URL (link) here.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Note the book is 356 pages, 110k words, and 1.8MB. I'm wonding where I'm supposed to upload it, and whether it will be too big...
Mediafire allows 10 gig upload for no cost - seems dropbox want money so I'll remove them from my christmas card list.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
EdIsenberg

Post by EdIsenberg »

Tibor Kovacs:

The same thing happened as I earlier described. Some text changed, while most text did not. Here's a screen image: The red highlighting is in the text as it is now displayed.
Replace with Xs didn't work.png
What was weird was that I tried what you suggested, replacing first the lower case, then the upper case, and finally the digits. Oddly, the lower-case letters returned!

This time I just tried lower & upper cases one at a time, without the digits. This is the result. It was the same if I only did lower-case letters.

Ed
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Maybe the "Search in the selection only" option was checked in?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

There is an empty paragraph following the title of Chapter 16 which may have a heading paragraph style applied. If that's the case, then that empty paragraph is the source of the chapter name shown in the footer. Since there's no text in the paragraph, there's no text in the footer. This also causes the blank line in the Navigator. Applying the default paragraph style to that empty paragraph should fix both problems.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Bill wrote:There is an empty paragraph following the title of Chapter 16 which may have a heading paragraph style applied. If that's the case, then that empty paragraph is the source of the chapter name shown in the footer. Since there's no text in the paragraph, there's no text in the footer. This also causes the blank line in the Navigator. Applying the default paragraph style to that empty paragraph should fix both problems.
That's indeed what I suspected.
EdIsenberg, have you seen my post and tried?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Hagar Delest wrote:
Bill wrote:There is an empty paragraph following the title of Chapter 16 which may have a heading paragraph style applied. If that's the case, then that empty paragraph is the source of the chapter name shown in the footer. Since there's no text in the paragraph, there's no text in the footer. This also causes the blank line in the Navigator. Applying the default paragraph style to that empty paragraph should fix both problems.
That's indeed what I suspected.
EdIsenberg, have you seen my post and tried?
I missed the screen shot that showed the empty paragraph as a level 1 paragraph in Outline Numbering. Your suggestion posted after that screen shot does indeed apply the Default paragraph style to the empty paragraph and should remove the paragraph from the document outline. I suspect that this hasn't been tried yet since I can't imagine it not working.
EdIsenberg

Post by EdIsenberg »

It worked! I can't believe it! I was so worried because obviouslyl it couldn't go to print the way it was. Now it is fixed, just by

1) double-clicking in the blank area in Navigator below the bona fide Chapter # & Title
2) go to the actual document where the cursor was already blinking
3) ctrl-M, then ctrl-1 to get the empty chapter displayed quite large
4) delete that entire line.

Magically, it was instantly working correctly!

i can't thank you all enough for your help in solving this important problem. I know that I had a lot of trouble following your instructions. I suspect it's because I'm having certain thinking problems that might be the beginning of a disease process. In any case, you didn't give up on me! That means so much to me, although I'm a bit frustrated because it's a favor I can't pay back and probably can't pay forward. Just know I appreciate each and every one of you.

I'll immediately mark this solved.

Ed
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

EdIsenberg wrote:... I'm a bit frustrated because it's a favor I can't pay back and probably can't pay forward. ...
You already did, by posting a confirmation about which procedure solved your issue and tagging the thread "solved". That puts helpers' minds at ease, and may also contribute to helping the next user with similar problems. (No need to post, found the solution by searching.)
Thank you!