[Solved] ToC sometimes doesn't add a space after chapter #

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
EdIsenberg

[Solved] ToC sometimes doesn't add a space after chapter #

Post by EdIsenberg »

All of my chapters are formatted the same, using the same styles. That's why I am befuddled by how the ToC as it appears at the front of the book sometimes correctly has a space between the Chapter # and the Chapter Name, but other times it doesn't. Here's a screen capture. Note Chapters 4 & 8.
Table of Contents - sometimes a space after chapter number, sometimes not.png
I don't have the first idea what to do to fix this.

BTW, does anyone know how I can reduce the spacing below Parts 1 (not pictured), 2, 3 and "The Author's Afterword" so that there's not quite the gap before the 1st chapter in the new Part? The space between the last chapter of the old Part and the next Part (e.g., Chapter 27: "Plan B" and "Part Three: Decisions") is fine. It's the spacing between "Parth Three..." and the first chapter below that's a bit large to my eye. If you disagree, by all means, say so. Anyway, the solution is probably something stupid, but I haven't figured it out yet.
Last edited by EdIsenberg on Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: ToC sometimes doesn't add a space after chapter #

Post by Zizi64 »

Plese upload your ODF type sample document here.

We can not examine the settings of the paragraph styles without a sample document.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I noticed the same thing in the Navigator window shown on your other post. The screen shots for chapters 14 and 16 I requested should show if there's a difference in the formatting of the chapter titles.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
acknak

Post by acknak »

Check the ToC entry diagram to see what separates the chapter number from the following title. My guess is a tab. OO Writer's tabs do not guarantee any minimum spacing, so if the tab width ends up being 5 microns, you get the result shown in your screen capture.

I've worked around this by adding a space before the tab. That will guarantee at least one space between the fields.You can add the space as a text item in the entry diagram.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
EdIsenberg

Post by EdIsenberg »

acknak's solution worked! I had long ago added a space in front of the chapter name for other reasons, but I missed a few. One of them didn't show a discrepancy, but the others did. When I added the missing space, the Navigation Pane showed the fix immediately. When I updated the ToC so did it.

Thanks to everyone for helping, especially acknak for coming up with the right solution!
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2