[Solved] Bottom of text area on left/right page don't match

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
EdIsenberg

[Solved] Bottom of text area on left/right page don't match

Post by EdIsenberg »

The bottom of the left page text area is 1/16" lower than the bottom of the right page text area! The image below was taken at full 100% size (9"x6").
Bottom of text window isn't the same distance above bottom of page.png
I can't think of a way to make this happen. Below is the Format | Page | Page Style frame.
Page Style for FoP novel.png
Page Style for FoP novel.png (11.44 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
The text on both pages line up, so I am wondering if it actually matters, but it sure looks strange!
Last edited by EdIsenberg on Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Bottoms of text areas on left & right page don't match!

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload a real ODF type sample file here.

We can not see the details on your attached picture. The rest of the empty space (inside the margins) depends of the content of the document. An embedded picture, a different font in a paragraph, a differenly spaced paragraph style, a DropCaps character in front of a paragraph will cause differences in the dimensions...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Also, there is the obvious cause: left and right page use different page styles.

This typically happens when you use a special page style for the first page of a new chapter, and one of the pages shown starts a chapter. Another common case is when you use alternating page styles for left/right pages instead of setting the style to "mirrored page layout". It also happens when your document has had a detour through MS Word context. (Opened and saved by Word or saved from Writer as a Word file.)
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
EdIsenberg

Post by EdIsenberg »

Keme:

Thanks for your suggestions for possible causes, but the page format is the same throughout the novel starting with Chapter 1. I did use different page formats for the front material including the preface plus the prologue. Starting with Chapter 1, they have the same formats.

I reformatted the Page Style so that the top & bottom margins would be smaller (I needed the page count to go down). Suddenly the problem with the main body of the novel went away. However, when I duplicated that change for the Epilogue, the page bottoms were even more out-of-whack! I've now returned them to the version that's only 1/16" off, as I can't afford to fool with it anymore and it is only slightly noticable on the screen (and perhaps only because I'm looking for the discrepancy). In any case, I said before, I'm not sure they'll show up in the printed documents.

I'm enclosing the two documents with the page style displayed to the right. You can see the huge difference in the actual document even though they are the same settings. Weird...

If you want to see anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

Page Style - FoP Normal
Page Style - FoP Normal (showing actual page bottom).png
Page Style - FoP Epilogue
Page Style - FoP Epilogue (showing actual page bottom).png
Thanks for your help, Keme. These sorts of problems are driving me crazy.

Ed
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

EdIsenberg wrote:...
I'm enclosing the two documents with the page style displayed to the right. ...
No, you didn't. You attached pictures of what your documents look like onscreen.
A car mechanic can diagnose a few things from a picture, and so can we.
Also like the mechanic, for most cases we really need our hands on the car document.
If you don't want your entire file published in this place, make a sample copy where you replace every character with an X (find/replace). The underlying structure should still remain.