[Solved] French accents

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
DonF

[Solved] French accents

Post by DonF »

I have an elderly lady where I assist with computers. She's French and would like to write documents with the French accents. What is the easiest way for her to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Don
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 64 bit
hubert lambert

Re: French accents

Post by hubert lambert »

Hello,

If you have a US qwerty keyboard, you may want to choose the canadian keyboard layout.
Entering french (or other) accented letters is achieved by typing AltGr+accent then typing the letter. See red accents in the image.

HL
AOOo 4.1.2 on Win7 | LibreOffice on various Linux systems
DonF

Post by DonF »

The lady has a laptop so a Canadian keyboard is not an option. How do you do this on a US keyboard?

DonF
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

It is not an additional physical keyboard, just an alternate keyboard setting for Windows, remapping a few keys to return different characters when pressed. You can switch back and forth between installed keyboard mappings with a keyboard shortcut.

For a US keyboard it is probably better to use the US/international keyboard mapping. It does not change any symbols, just makes it easier to type accented characters and requires a bit of retraining for a few special characters (apostrophe, quotation marks, etc.). See this Microsoft article for details.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

I am in Ubuntu Linux but I find the English International ALTCR (with dead key) seems the best choice. Presumably, this is the equivalent of the MS keyboard layout Keme recommends.

Alternatively, if the lady learned to type on a French (France) keyboard she might want to use that keyboard layout assuming she is a "really good" touch typist.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key may be of assistance.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
DonF

Post by DonF »

Thanks for all the information. I will take this under consideration.

DonF
DonF

Post by DonF »

After some more research I came up with the following that will work in OpenOffice.
I added an additional keyboard input language, US International.
After doing this, the keystrokes on the attached file work with Open Office.
Attachments
Accent keys for international keyboard.pdf
(33.41 KiB) Downloaded 801 times
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] French accents

Post by jrkrideau »

Looks good though my Ubuntu keyboard for <b>English International ALTCr (with dead key) </b> does not use the same key combinations for all the accents.

For example ü is "Right Alt + t" however the <b>Right Alt</b> comes from me deliberately assigning it as the "dead key"
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04