[Solved] Notes or comments

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
mfslater

[Solved] Notes or comments

Post by mfslater »

Hi Listmates

I would like to make notes of each page of a Writer document on a separate background page (for want of a better word) that I can invoke with a special key stroke combination. I then want to summarise these comments with a key stroke on a single (again background) page at the end.

Can this be done with Comments?

Or is there another way to do this?

Rgrds

Martin Sl.
Last edited by mfslater on Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.3
Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Notes or comments

Post by RoryOF »

Comments will display alongside the page on which each comment is anchored. From memory there is a limit of 16K characters to each comment; styles and formatting within comments are not well supported. Comments of that size will greatly slow down your document, as will comments originating from a multiplicity of authors. For these reasons I doubt that using Comments is a satisfactory solution to your problem.

How large (page count) is your initial document likely do be? How long are your notes like to be? Perhaps you could Insert them as Endnotes, where clicking on the anchor or the reference number transfers you back and forth.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mfslater

Post by mfslater »

Hi Listmates

Further to my inquiry for a way to make notes for each page (in a Writer document) on a background page and then collate and format the collected random notes as a final end page.

Length of file: a how-to document around 70 A4 pages long, fairly dense with different chapters and including technical drawings
Notes to be collated: very brief like this "1/4" ME thread, 40 tpi

After editing a document, I want to have a list of all the tools, machines et alia (specified by the author of the article) in the form of a random summary on a final page. I can then reformat this list (in a number of ways) to enable prospective users to see if they already have what they need to make the object of the article. It's technical - not DIY.

Marking a brief text sequence and then invoking a feature like "Send to" with a final, initially empty page to collect everything on might be the answer. Does this exist at all?

Rgrds

Martin Sl.
Open Office 4.1.3
Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You could perhaps (mis)use one of the indexes, such as Index of Tables or Index of Illustrations (or other). I haven't thought this out any further.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS