Irregular Double Spacing Glitch

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
Yuri_Futanari

Irregular Double Spacing Glitch

Post by Yuri_Futanari »

I have been working on a piece for my church for a while and am now down to trying to double space all of the paragraphs, only some times it fails to do the right thing and 'explodes' the paragraph into double spacing, and not the space BETWEEN them.

I tried and tried certain locations without resolution.

I completed the rest of the article but can not turn it in until these 'problem children' are somehow resolved.

I even did a code error test by saving it to notepad which normally erases all formatting, and then pasted in a new blank ext window, but sadly, it persisted even then.

If this is something that can outlive doubly being copied and pasted out of and into OpenOffice via note pad, should I be looking for some kind of hidden code string in the page which is either viral or accidental file corruption? :crazy:
RusselB

Re: Irregular Double Spacing Glitch

Post by RusselB »

If you use Ctrl+F10 (View -> Non Printing Characters) do you see characters that look like backwards P's at the end of each line?
For the double spacing, you should see two of them, one after the other, but on separate lines.
If you don't, then you aren't getting proper double spacing.

IMO the easiest way to change text from single to double spaced, is to highlight the text you want double spaced, then go to Format -> Paragraph, then change Line Spacing from Single to Double
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Yuri_Futanari

Post by Yuri_Futanari »

I found that the problem was that somehow certain paragraph breaks were not being recognized and the resolution was to backspace until they met then hit enter twice to make sure I had a clean break.

I am not sure how the error happened to begin with, but while it took more time, it achieved the needed results.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Yuri_Futanari wrote:I have been working on a piece for my church for a while and am now down to trying to double space all of the paragraphs, only some times it fails to do the right thing and 'explodes' the paragraph into double spacing, and not the space BETWEEN them.
"Double spacing" is a term used to refer to spacing between lines, not the spacing between paragraphs. If you use the "Double" Line spacing setting, then space is supposed to be added between all lines. If you want more spacing between paragraphs and not between all lines, then set the amount of space in the "Below paragraph" Spacing option.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Yuri_Futanari

Post by Yuri_Futanari »

Bill wrote:
Yuri_Futanari wrote:I have been working on a piece for my church for a while and am now down to trying to double space all of the paragraphs, only some times it fails to do the right thing and 'explodes' the paragraph into double spacing, and not the space BETWEEN them.
"Double spacing" is a term used to refer to spacing between lines, not the spacing between paragraphs. If you use the "Double" Line spacing setting, then space is supposed to be added between all lines. If you want more spacing between paragraphs and not between all lines, then set the amount of space in the "Below paragraph" Spacing option.
I will have to read up on how to do that because everything I do for the church is supposed to have a double space between all paragraphs. :geek:
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The easiest way to do this, is to use single spacing through each paragraph, hitting the Enter key at the end of the last sentence, then hitting the Enter key two more times in succession, before starting the next paragraph.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This
Writer for Students
is a useful and brief guide to the main functions of Writer, which you may find helpful.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Yuri_Futanari

Post by Yuri_Futanari »

RusselB wrote:The easiest way to do this, is to use single spacing through each paragraph, hitting the Enter key at the end of the last sentence, then hitting the Enter key two more times in succession, before starting the next paragraph.
That is not the formatting they are after.

I will figure out the easier [more automated] method and make a saved template for future projects.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try Right clicking on the paragraph style in use, select Edit Paragraph style from the popup; on the Indents and Spacing tab set "Line spacing" to "Double" (if that is what you want). Set "Spacing : Below Paragraph" to some suitable value O.4 inches should be a good starting point if you are using 12 pt type.

This is accessing the defined paragraph style from what is called the "context menu". You can also access it by /Format /Styles and Formatting, right clicking on the first icon from the left to select "Paragraph styles" (actually that will be selected by default when you open the S & F window); right clicking on the shaded stylke and selecting Modify from the popup. Then change values as above.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS