Manuscript headers

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
TyTX

Manuscript headers

Post by TyTX »

I am formatting a manuscript for publication that is about 400 pages long. I have the margins mirrored.

Here's my problem. I need Roman numerals for the preface, dedication, copyright page and title page. The actual text is continuous Arabic numbering. Pages with a left margin have the book title left-justified following the page number while pages with a right margin have the chapter title right-justified before the page number. How do I separate my chapters so header changes to rh pages don't change earlier pages.

I originally formatted my manuscript on Word but have since switched to OpenOffice. Using 'section breaks' kept my chapters unique but I don't see how to do this in Writer.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Windows Vista
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Manuscript headers

Post by Zizi64 »

I originally formatted my manuscript on Word but have since switched to OpenOffice.
It is a possible source of the problem.

Can you upload a shortened version of your document in .odt format? (6-8 pages only from the beginning page. Delete the rest pages from a COPY of your document, because the file size limit is 128 KiB in this Forum.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See the example provided at the end of the first post of this topic: [Tutorial] Page numbering.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

See Tutorial on Page styles and headers/footers for an introduction into using page styles. Bsically, you need different apge styles for parts of your document that have really different headers, footers, margins, page orientation etc. You should use fields for the chapter titles in the headers, don't use a copy of the chapter title.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum