[Solved] Can you create larger font sizes than on the menu?

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
Windmaker

[Solved] Can you create larger font sizes than on the menu?

Post by Windmaker »

I have a need to produce a sign with letters and numbers from 3-5" in height. The largest menu size font in OO Writer is "96", which is not large enough. While Microsoft Word apparently allows typing (and creating) a larger font size into the font size window/field than exists on their menu of sizes, apparently OOWriter does not. Or at least I couldn't get the above alternative to work.

Does anyone know if there's any way to alter/enlarge font sizes in OO Writer that are larger than the maximum menu size (96)? If not, would you possibly know of any (FREE) alternative means to create these larger digits. I do not have MS Word installed, and it certainly isn't worth purchasing for the small project I have in mind.

Thanks for looking.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
acknak

Re: Can you create larger font sizes than on the menu?

Post by acknak »

You can enter any type size you like in the toolbar; just click on the numbers and type in the number.

However, I find this kind of project much easier to manage using OO Draw. In Draw, you can enter the text, then convert it to a curve (a pure graphic shape instead of text) and then scale it to any size.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Windmaker

Re: Can you create larger font sizes than on the menu?

Post by Windmaker »

Thank you acknak....I wasn't successful (before submitting this post) when entering the new font size numbers because when I typed them into the font box I did not also follow up with pressing the "enter" key. However, after giving that a try and successfully getting the larger letters and numbers it appears that your alternate suggestion may indeed be the better way to go. As you stated, I'd be better able to control the shapes and sizes of the digits as a graphic. It may take me a while to learn how to use the Draw program, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to figure it out eventually. If not, I'll post another question....!

Thanks again...I truly appreciate your help! :bravo:
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Can you create larger font sizes than on the me

Post by RoryOF »

On my computers the limit for a hand-entered value in the font selector is 999.9 points; however, I agree with acknak, Draw is probably a better application for a sign or banner. Its page size is limited to 300cm x 300 cm. Writer will only set type to a width of about 68 cm, irrespective of the page size being wider.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Windmaker

Re: [Solved] Can you create larger font sizes than on the me

Post by Windmaker »

RoryOF wrote:On my computers the limit for a hand-entered value in the font selector is 999.9 points; however, I agree with acknak, Draw is probably a better application for a sign or banner. Its page size is limited to 300cm x 300 cm. Writer will only set type to a width of about 68 cm, irrespective of the page size being wider.
Thanks RoryOF......I do intend to try the Draw program