[Solved] References to figures, numbering is haywire

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
PatrickMcGraw

[Solved] References to figures, numbering is haywire

Post by PatrickMcGraw »

Hi, in spite of reading the help plus multiple tutorials and forum topics, I'm _still_ confused about how to create cross references to figures that actually work. I have two related questions/problems:

1) I have a number of captioned figures, some of which have been moved and/or deleted. The caption numbers in the figures themselves seem to update correctly, but then when I go to "Insert Cross-Reference" and select "Type: Figure" and "Insert Reference to: Category and Number" I have to choose from a list that reads Figure 1, Figure2, etc. And now I have just inserted a new figure at the beginning, which is numbered "Figure 1" in its own caption, but when I select "Figure 1" from the cross reference menu I get a reference that says "Figure 2." I _also_ get "Figure 2" if I click "Figure 2." I.e., in general I get unpredictable results that don't align with what the actual figure numbers are. I have tried updating the fields with F9 and it made no difference.

2) Something that would probably make this more transparent: is there any way to give your captioned figures descriptive or mnemonic titles, like, for example, "FormDiagram" or "FirstRunData" or whatever that don't actually appear in the printed text, so that then you can make cross references to that and not have to worry about picking the right figure number from the list given that those numbers might change as you edit things? (I.e., the type of thing that is easy to do with LaTex except the problem is then you have to use LaTex.)
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Patrick McGraw
OpenOffice 4.1.2
OS X 10.11.5
Hagar Delest

Re: References to figures, numbering is haywire

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Can you upload a sample file showing the problem (see How to attach a document here)?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
PatrickMcGraw

Re: References to figures, numbering is haywire

Post by PatrickMcGraw »

Hi, thanks for the reply, by the time I got this I had gone back, deleted all my figures and started over inserting them, and cross-references at least seemed to work after that. Now I'm having other problems which are for a different post...
Patrick McGraw
OpenOffice 4.1.2
OS X 10.11.5