Using Formulae in Writer

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
mikeod

Using Formulae in Writer

Post by mikeod »

Hi there,

Is there any way that I could use formulae within Writer?

Our reservation system uses a Writer document to structure the format of our customer documentation using db fields e.g.

[Dest.CustomerFirstname] [Dest.CustomerLastname],
[Dest.Address.FormatedAddress]
[Dest.Address.Country]

Ideally, I'd like to be able to convert "NAME SURNAME" to "Name Surname" using the PROPER() formula.

Many thanks in advance,
Mike
OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 7 Professional
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Using Formulae in Writer

Post by Villeroy »

You can use UPPER in a database query. Depending on your database backend you may even use a built-in PROPER function of your database driver. However, PROPER is not availlable in Base itself.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
mgroenescheij
Volunteer

Re: Using Formulae in Writer

Post by mgroenescheij »

Ideally, I'd like to be able to convert "NAME SURNAME" to "Name Surname" using the PROPER() formula.
If you can the output from your Reservation System you could import the data into a spreadsheet as in intermediate file and use Change Case from the Format menu.
This menu is also available in Writer but assuming that you want to do a mail merge it's more time consuming to go to each letter.
AOO 4.1.5 on MS Windows 10 Professional & MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5
Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.