ODT file enlarges when exported as pdf, in Writer

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
larsalb

ODT file enlarges when exported as pdf, in Writer

Post by larsalb »

Hello,

I have a 496 pages odt text. When I do File/Export as pdf then the number of pages enlarges to 500 pages in the pdf file.
My problem is that the page numbers in the Contents list then no longer is correct.

I have tried to save the text as doc file and then export as pdf from Writer, but that results in the same enlargement, to 500 pages.

Also tried to look into the different settings for pdf export and for printing. And tried many different things, but with no solution of my problem. It is also difficult to understand the implications of the settings.
Searches on this site didn't bring any solution.
I use Windows 10, and OOO 4.1.2.
In the text all chapters are set to start on a right page, and if necessary a left page is put in before automatically. In the OOO settings for printing, print of those auto-pages is checked. I have set the same in settings for exporting to pdf.

I noticed that the enlargement seems to take place during the reformatting of the file - that seems to take - before the print window appears. A similar reformatting and enlargement take place, when I change to View in Print Layout, either by View/print layout, or by the button for that.

I will be very thankful for any help. :)
Have a nice day/evening.
lars, denmark
openoffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: ODT file enlarges when exported as pdf, in writer

Post by Zizi64 »

I have a 496 pages odt text. When I do File/Export as pdf then the number of pages enlarges to 500 pages in the pdf file.
My problem is that the page numbers in the Contents list then no longer is correct.
Do you use the embedded pdf export function, or some virtual pdf printer software?
(Maybe the document page size, and the page size of the virtual pdf printer are not same.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Have you Saved the file as type .odt before /Exporting as PDF?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
larsalb

Post by larsalb »

I don't use the embedded pdf export function. Should I?

I am uncertain about your other question. On my computer is installed Adobe Acrobat Reader 2015.010.20060. And also with computer came a program called Nitro Pro 9.0.6.20 which I use for "printing" to pdf; I actually also tried this, but it resulted in the same.
larsalb

Post by larsalb »

RoryOF wrote:Have you Saved the file as type .odt before /Exporting as PDF?
Yes, I did.
I made the text in odt, and then export to pdf.
To try something else - a suggestion from somewhere in this forum - I made a doc file from the odt file, and then exported that doc file to pdf. But same result.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try exporting the .odt to PDF, using Export as PDF. After you save the file as .odt, give it time to reformat before Exporting.
 Edit: After Saving as .odt, rebuild the Table of Contents, by Right clicking anywhere in the Table and selecting Update from the popup. Then Export as PDF; the ToC and the PDF should now match. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Re: ODT file enlarges when exported as pdf, in Writer

Post by keme »

I have seen several complaints about page standards support and scaling vs. cropping in the Nitro PDF software. Never had any problem with Writer's builtin export function. That said, I have not handled any 300+pages documents...

Also if you include links or other references in your file (Chapter headings/ToC entries, bookmarks, footnotes), those are conveyed to the exported PDF (clickable and/or available in the PDF viewer sidebar). I don't know of any virtual print solutions which do that. Useful if your file is meant for onscreen reading, but worthless if your target is paper.

There have been issues with the integrated PDF export when submitting to print (lacking alignment info and color separation), but I believe that those issues have been resolved in recent versions.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
larsalb

Post by larsalb »

RoryOF wrote:Try exporting the .odt to PDF, using Export as PDF. After you save the file as .odt, give it time to reformat before Exporting.
 Edit: After Saving as .odt, rebuild the Table of Contents, by Right clicking anywhere in the Table and selecting Update from the popup. Then Export as PDF; the ToC and the PDF should now match. 
I have done like you suggest, but the result is the same - extra pages are added in the pdf file.

I seems like there is a small enlargement for each page in the pdf file. And at about the 70th page the accumulation of enlargement is so great that an extra page is inserted. At about the 480th page four extra pages are inserted.

I found a tinker solution just before deadline, but it was cumbersome. I exported as pdf, and from that pdf file I copied the page numbers for each chapter and heading in the Table of Contents. These page numbers I pasted into the Table of Contents in the odt file. Then I saved the odt file without updating the ToC. Finally exported as pdf.

Should I not expect to get a smarter solution with Writer? And in stead I would have to use a professional program like InDesign?