[Solved] Full page of labels for each database row

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
mbes

[Solved] Full page of labels for each database row

Post by mbes »

How do I print a full page of address labels for each entry of my database (or spreadsheet) instead of one label for each entry? MS Office does this easily, but I cannot find a way in OO.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Windows 10
Open Office 4.1.2
MrProgrammer

Re: Address Labels

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
mbes wrote:How do I print a full page of address labels for each entry of my database (or spreadsheet) instead of one label for each entry?
Method 1: - Change the label page so it advances to a new database entry at the end of the page, not after each label
Generate the page of labels (File → New → Labels). Design your label with the dialog. View → Field Names. Edit the first label and delete the Next Record field. Use the Synchronize Labels button so none of the labels has the Next Record field. Format → Sections. Select the last section. Uncheck Link and Protected. At the very end of the last section on the page, Insert → Fields → Other → Type = Next record → Database selection = {your database} → Insert → Close. File → Print → Do you want to print a form letter? → Yes → Records → All → OK.

Method 2 - replicate the data in the database to fill the page (using a spreadsheet as the data source):
Create a second sheet in the spreadsheet with as many copies of each row in the first sheet as there are labels on the page. Row 1 has your column labels. In row 2, you'd use a formula like =OFFSET(S1.A$2;QUOTIENT(ROW()-2;Ω);0) where Ω is the number of labels on a page. Fill down as needed. If you have a very large number of rows to populate, use the Name Box (see Help → Index → formula bar;sheet area names) to select the rows/columns for Edit → Fill → Down. Generate the page of labels (File → New → Labels). Design your label with the dialog using the second sheet as the data source.

Method 3 - replicate the data in the database to fill the page (something other than a spreadsheet as the data source):
Fiie → New → Spreadsheet. View → Data Sources. Drag the data source's table into the spreadsheet. Proceed as in Method 2.

Read about these ideas in the Help, in this forum, or in the Wiki. There are many, many, many topics about mail merge.
mbes wrote:MS Office does this easily …
Of course you should purchase that program if it better suits your needs.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
mbes

Re: Address Labels

Post by mbes »

Hi Mr. Programmer,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply - it saved my day.

I have been going around in frustrating circles for almost 3 days on this bloody thing. I started using Method 1 as it seemed the simplest (i.e. just deleting the "Next Record" field). I did not even insert "Next Record" at the end of the labels page and just tried it.

Well what do you know? It worked!

Thanks again.

P.S. Regarding the OO Help; when I click on it I get the help screen, but the type size on the right half pane is tiny and illegible - I do not know how to change it. The left hand pane (Help Contents index) is fine.
Windows 10
Open Office 4.1.2