[Solved] Writer2epub E-pub self destructs

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
Yuri_Futanari

[Solved] Writer2epub E-pub self destructs

Post by Yuri_Futanari »

First I tried the installation on v 4.1.1. and it simply would not complete, then I updated to 4.1.2. and although it completed, it instantly reased the entire file.

Where is it?

Am I doing something wrong?

I put in all the input it asks for and then hit ok.

It says it is working [instead of crashing like it did before on 4.1.1.] and you can see it creating files.

The problem is, the files AND the working folder they were loaded into during the batch process all suddenly DISAPPEAR!

While this is happening, it will pop up a "Job Finished" message and I can read everything it says it did [it never lists deleting everything at the end] and I can 'save a log' [which I am not even sure it does that because no log files can eb found either] or hit ok which makes that window close and I am right back to where I was BEFORE I started.

Something is really fishy about this and there is no help page or contact means on their web page at writer2epub.

Can anybody help me with this one? :crazy: :alarm: :knock:
Last edited by Yuri_Futanari on Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Re: writer2epub E-pub self destructs instantly upon completi

Post by RoryOF »

No time at present to investigate. A workaround: pass your .odt file to Calibre to convert to epub.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I had a few minutes to download and install Writer2ePub extension. I tried it on a plain text file of about 130 A5 pages. It errored on handling a Drop Cap. I modified the paragraph style that used drop caps to remove them, but it still blew up in the same code. I'm offline now for six hours or so.
Yuri_Futanari

Post by Yuri_Futanari »

Calibre?

I shall give it a try! (~_^)-b

I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks for the tip. :super:
Yuri_Futanari

Post by Yuri_Futanari »

Calibere was a total failure.

I got it installed, then could not upload a file to it to make it work.

I could not select any files of any type extensions and it would not let me choose anything except e-pub which is damned stupid because clearly I don't HAVE any e-pubs or I wouldn't be needing THEIR program!

I'm more than just a little frustrated now.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Perhaps a new install? I found it worked well - it translated .odt to epub and mobi.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I've just downloaded a fresh copy of Calibre and converted a 130 page .odt file to both epub and mobi with no problems.
Yuri_Futanari

Post by Yuri_Futanari »

Good for you.

That helps me not one bit.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It shows that the current download is good, and works.
Yuri_Futanari

Post by Yuri_Futanari »

That means squat to me if it is not working for me.

I don't care if it works for you if it doesn't work for me, walking around being cocky doesn't help me one bit.

If you don't have any help then just leave my forum please.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Open Calibre. Click on Add books icon and point to your .odt file. Calibre will install it into its library. Then click on the file in the Calibre library and select the Convert Books icon. When that screen opens select your output format (epub?) from the dropdown at top right, then click OK. Calibre will start to process the file and you will see a little box at the bottom righthand corner saying Job 1 with a revolving disk. When this box changes to Job 0 your file has been converted. When you select the file again you will see on the right, under a picture of a cover, the formats odt and epub. Click on epub and the file will open in Calibre's reader. The epub file will be found on your hard disk in a Calibre Library folder, in a subfolder of your name (as author).

When you have managed to do that and examined the epub file, I suggest you start to read the calibre documentation on how to make any format changes you need and then process the file again to implement such changes.

If you continue to want help, please be polite.
Yuri_Futanari

Post by Yuri_Futanari »

Thank you for finally offering some guidance.

I will carefully follow the steps you have provided.

If it works I will be in debted to your help.

If not I have to find what either is wrong with my computer or whatever and try again.

I am not above being polite, but please, I was asking for instructions, or even suggestions.

When I was young I used to say things like "Works just fine for me" and walk away leaving people without help, so I suppose I deserve the same in return, but I would like to ask some leniency on a person who is asking a sincere question and willing to follow instructions, whereas those people whom I met as a child only wanted excuses not to do something or get me to do it for them.
Yuri_Futanari

Post by Yuri_Futanari »

Okay I am trying to make sense of all of this now and hopefully it will come out the right way [holding my breath]
Yuri_Futanari

Re: Writer2epub E-pub self destructs instantly upon completi

Post by Yuri_Futanari »

Calibre worked very well, thank you for all of your input! :D
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Yuri_Futanari wrote:it doesn't work for me
Is not a very good explanation of what the issue is. If you can provide more detail, specifically what you want to achieve, the exact steps you took, the result you expected and the result you actually got, it will make it that much easier for people to guide you.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Yuri_Futanari

Post by Yuri_Futanari »

robleyd wrote:
Yuri_Futanari wrote:it doesn't work for me
Is not a very good explanation of what the issue is. If you can provide more detail, specifically what you want to achieve, the exact steps you took, the result you expected and the result you actually got, it will make it that much easier for people to guide you.
I figured it out, and would mark it 'solved' if I knew how to.
RusselB

Re: Writer2epub E-pub self destructs instantly upon completi

Post by RusselB »

Go to the very first post of this topic, click the Edit button, then insert [Solved] at the beginning of the Topic line.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.