[Solved] Hide Blank Lines Labels w 2 name & 2 address fields

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
camaro406ss

[Solved] Hide Blank Lines Labels w 2 name & 2 address fields

Post by camaro406ss »

Hi there, hoping there is someone who can help me figure out why Im still getting blank lines in my labels.

Ive mail merged from my database to create a new template for printing labels.

In the Inscription field:

Code: Select all

<Customer Database 2014.Sheet1.0.Title1> <Customer Database 2014.Sheet1.0.First1> <Customer Database 2014.Sheet1.0.Last1>
<Customer Database 2014.Sheet1.0.Title2> <Customer Database 2014.Sheet1.0.First2> <Customer Database 2014.Sheet1.0.Last2>
<Customer Database 2014.Sheet1.0.Address1>
<Customer Database 2014.Sheet1.0.Address2>
<Customer Database 2014.Sheet1.0.City>, <Customer Database 2014.Sheet1.0.Province> <Customer Database 2014.Sheet1.0.Postal>
Now Ive got everything working perfectly to this point, and Ive even been able to hide the 2nd line using the Insert>Section typing Suppress in the field, selecting hide and entering: Customer Database 2014.Sheet1.Title2 First2 Last2 EQ ""

But when trying to Suppress the 2nd line I'm unable to Insert>Section type Suppress in the field, select hide and enter: Customer Database 2014.Sheet1.Address2 EQ "" unless I rename the action Suppress2 (or something else) and then when I try to print>tofile>save and then open it, the print preview still shows the blank line where Address2 should be.

Anyone know If I am unable to Suppress 2 sections the First empty Title2 First2 Last2 and the Address2?

Id like to print without the blank line.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
camaro406ss

Re: Hide Blank Lines Labels with 2 names and 2 address feild

Post by camaro406ss »

More info to show you what Ive run into:

Template:
5fXLxS6.png
5fXLxS6.png (3.83 KiB) Viewed 5647 times
Result:
CHqm5E2.png
CHqm5E2.png (3.08 KiB) Viewed 5647 times
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I'm afraid there's little we can do without access to your entire setup.

I normally just use a hidden paragraph field instead of a section: it works just the same way but it hides the current paragraph when the condition is true.

I don't know of any reason why two sections won't work, just make sure the sections cover the paragraphs you expect and double-check all the other settings. I sometimes have to start with a simpler setup, testing each line by itself, to make sure that everything is as expected and working.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
camaro406ss

Post by camaro406ss »

I tried just removing the 2nd title first last, and it works fine. But as soon as I try to insert the hide condition to the address 2 line I get the above results.

Ive tried doing the hide paragraph commands: ![Points.Sheet1.Title]AND![Points.Sheet1.Last Name] in the Insert>Fields>Other but It just removes the selections entirely from my template. And I cant find any other tutorials than this one: http://www.openoffice.org/documentation ... lMerge.pdf

Believe me Ive tried all sorts of combinations (at least 8 hours worth..) with the insert section hide stuff, but I'm still stumped. I cant be the only person ever to want to have 2 names and 2 address lines in their labels.. lol
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

I did have test it with a spreadsheet and a writer document but not with labels and then it works. When you want print labels maybe you have to add the hide paragraph by hand.

When you want hide two line independent then you need also two times hideparagraph. See the document I have added

For other readers read the help file for setting hide paragraph correct.

Romke
Attachments
examplehidden.odt
(14.09 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
camaro406ss

Post by camaro406ss »

Yay! It worked. :)

I ended up using the hidden paragraph method as suggested by you guys. I had to read that tutorial slowly a few times, but after a little fudging with my spreadsheet, Ive got a result I can live with. I'm very happy now. I can finally get these Christmas cards out for my business and save myself hours of typing next year. Thank you all so much. Have a happy holidays. :)