[Solved] Juno attachments of docx documents doesn't work

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
calknick

[Solved] Juno attachments of docx documents doesn't work

Post by calknick »

When attaching a docx document to a Juno email, you cannot open the attachment, only save or delete it. Worse yet, if you uninstall Open Office, the problem still exists, and every docx document in your documents will come up if you search "Open Office". This is true with both Windows 7 and Windows 8. What has Open Office "left behind" when uninstalled? The documents process normally if you simply open them, and the properties show normally (no reference to Open Office). I have removed everything except the documents which comes up when I search "Open Office" but nothing gets rid of the problem. Even a document from a thumb drive (which was not plugged in during the time Open Office was on the system or when it was uninstalled) gives the same problem. Take that thumb drive to another machine which never had Open Office and Juno processes it normally.

Unfortunately, I had not created a System Restore point before installing Open Office, so can't go back to the system as it was earlier.

HELP!!
Last edited by thomasjk on Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
Open Office 4.1 on Windows 7
RusselB

Re: Juno attachments of docx documents doesn't work

Post by RusselB »

If the file associations were set for Open Office to work with those files (note: .docx isn't officially supported by Open Office), when you uninstalled Open Office those file associations probably didn't change. I've seen this type of thing many times when installing/uninstalling different programs.
If you want the files to open with a program other than Open Office, and they currently are trying to open with Open Office, then you need to go to your File Associations and reset or change them.
On Windows 7, to get to that area, I would go Windows Start Menu -> Default Programs
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
calknick

Post by calknick »

When I open a docx file created by Microsoft Word, it opens with Word. Once Open Office was uninstalled, there is never any case (that I've seen, anyway!) where it wants to open with Open Office. The ONLY place there is a problem is with attachments to Juno emails, and even there, apparently Juno doesn't recognize the document type, even though it says docx..
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

In that case, I'd say this is something you should be taking up with Juno, not Open Office.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
calknick

Post by calknick »

SOLVED! Running Microsoft Office Diagnostics got rid of the problem of docx attachments to Juno not being able to be read by the sender.

I'm embarrassed by the bit about all my docx documents coming up when I did a search on Open Office. I didn't realize that there was an "Office Open wmt" tag with each document, so it had nothing to do with Open Office that they came up on a search!