Problems with Conditional Text

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
mojohn

Problems with Conditional Text

Post by mojohn »

I've searched the forum and looked at the online help as well as the "fields" chapter of the user guide. As best I can tell, I'm doing everything per instructions, but still have a problem.

I'm preparing a last will and testament using fields the "Properties" dialog. The field that is giving me problems is the one I set up to identify if the person signing the will is male or female. At first, I set up a yes/no field with the name "Testator Gender Male" (inclusive of spaces between the words) on the "Custom Properties" tab. I then went to the first place in the document where I wanted to have a gender-specific word ("wife" if the field was checked "Yes," else "husband"). The user guide states that fields available on the "DocInformation" Variables" and "Database" tabs can be used to create conditions.

Thus, to insert a field, I went to Insert Fields ... Other dialog and clicked on the Functions tab.

In the "Condition" box, I typed "Testator Gender Male EQ "Yes"" - "Yes" being the default
In the "Then" box, I typed "wife"
In the "Else box, I typed "husband"

I ran a test and selected "No" in anticipation that the default text in the field would change to "wife" but it didn't. I then changed my custom variable to "TestatorGenderMale" thinking that the conditional processing might not like spaces (similar to naming bookmarks). Ran the test again but still no joy.

I really want the fields to work as indicated above so that I can input all the "changeable" information in the Properties dialog and not have to open the Insert ... Other .. Variables dialog tab and manually change the value of the variable name. That will really mess up my efforts to have only one place in which to enter data for automated document production.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

BTW, I need to change my user info for this forum. I'm actually running the most current AOO on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
OOo 3.1.X on Ubuntu 9.10
RusselB

Re: Problems with Conditional Text

Post by RusselB »

For changing your information on the forum, click the User Control Panel... For me, it's near the top on the left hand side.
For the rest of your request, someone else will have to advise
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.