[Solved] Chapter name in header won't terminate at last pg

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
writeguy

[Solved] Chapter name in header won't terminate at last pg

Post by writeguy »

chapter name/number in header won't terminate at end of last chapter, runs into appencices:

My 300 page book has headers & footers. I number intro pages differently from body pages and differently from appendices (end pages.)
I inserted book title into left page header, chapter number and name into right hand header.
page numbers and total pages are counted in the footer, along with author name. Footer book body pages begin at 1 and the sum is corrected to end properly at the total count ("page 1 of 279 pages") Left and righ hand page numbering is mirrored and uses a 2 cell table to insert text in one cell and page number into the other.

The title page has no number as desired.

The problem is that the final Chapter 19's number and name continue into the aend pages' headers. Appendices, index, glossary, etc. page numbers begin at "a" and end about "bu".

Chapter names are formated as outline level 2 ( title is level 1). Appendices, etc formated as level 3
I am using latest writer version 4.1.1, windows 7 & 8 (2 machines).

Can anyone tell me how to terminate the chapter 19 header name and number at the end of chapter 19, and begin appendix, glossary, etc name and numbering?
Your help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

FURTHER INFO:
To set up the formating I used menus: tools, outline numbering, numbering tab, level "2", para style "Heading 2", number "1,2,3...", seperator "before" chapter.
Also used menu items: Insert, fields, other, type "number range", selection "appendix" (created by me), etc...
This book has a table of contents, and an index, and reference endnote section as well.

One further mystery that is not critical, but curious. The endnote section (occuring at the very end) has no header or footer appearing in the pages and inserts an automatic blank page between itself and it's title page.
Last edited by writeguy on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 with Windows 7 and 8 on 2 MACHINES
RoryOF

Re: final book chapter name in header won't terminate at las

Post by RoryOF »

A quick answer to start you off - I'm out of time as gone on holiday. Your preliminary and end matter pages need to use different Page Styles. This is dealt with in
[Tutorial] Page styles and headers/footers
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Final book chapter name in header won't terminate at las

Post by jrkrideau »

writeguy wrote:chapter name/number in header won't terminate at end of last chapter, runs into appencices:

One further mystery that is not critical, but curious. The endnote section (occuring at the very end) has no header or footer appearing in the pages and inserts an automatic blank page between itself and it's title page.
i think it is because you are using Left and Right Page Styles. AOO firmly believes that all new chapters must start on the right hand page and inserts a blank left to deal with this. I think there is a way to dea with this but I don't remember how. A search of the forum about suppesssing blank pages should find you something.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
writeguy

Re: Final book chapter name in header won't terminate at las

Post by writeguy »

thank you, RoryOF for the reply.
I had created 2 different page styles, one for the body (Chapters, called "default") and another for the end pages (appendices, index, etc.) I used the default body style to create the 2nd page style (called "appendix".) I will reevaluate my styles and see if I can tweak them to overcome the problem however. Enjoy your vacation.

and thank you, jrkrideau.
There is a blank page, but that did not affect the header label.

I was able to solve the problem by right clicking the field name and number in the header to get the pop up menu. Then I selected "fields...." The edit fields document window popped up, I changed the "level" to 3 to coincide with the appendices' outline level (instead of the chapter level which was 2), and this changed the headers to reflect the name of the appendix of those pages.
Thank you both again for you input.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 with Windows 7 and 8 on 2 MACHINES