Sections and endnotes

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
jrbreton

Sections and endnotes

Post by jrbreton »

Well, I've managed to loop open office in a cycle of crashes. Don't really know what I've done.

The problem: Open office puts endnotes at the end of a document. For a book I am writing I wanted to put the index at the end after the endnotes. From a precious reply in the Forum, I learned the work- around for this problem is to put the entire document in a section, put the endnotes at the end of the section, and then finish the document with the index.

This is I tried to do. I created a section (in fact two as revealed by the format section dialogue) and proceeded to cut the index from before the endnotes and paste it after the endnotes.

The result was most curious. When opening the altered file, Writer very slowly loaded the endnotes and then crashed. Writer then recovered the file, loaded it, and crashed again. At first recovery listed three identical files to be recovered. By editing the section during the file's slow load, I've cut the recovery to one file. But it still crashes eventually.

What have I done? How can I save the file, and achieve my original objective?
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows W2k
toothpix

Re: Sections and endnotes

Post by toothpix »

I don't have an answer to this six-year old unanswered question, but I do have another endnotes quandary.

I seek to do the same thing (put an index and appendices after the endnotes. I too found the work-around of putting my entire document sans the appendices into a section and checking the "put endnotes at end of section" box.

While my system doesn't endlessly crash, it just doesn't work. Although I check that box, my endnotes don't move from the end of the text.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Open Office v. 4.0.0
Windows 8.1
jrbreton

Post by jrbreton »

AMDG

Thanks for your reply. You may find what I did helpful. By color-highlighted the entire section. I was able to see just what the section included. Then I saw the endnotes placed of the section. Putting the indices after the section worked after some trial and error. Hope this helps.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows W2k
toothpix

Post by toothpix »

Thanks for responding. By "color-highlighted" do you mean just selecting the text, or some other feature? Can you explain how to show the entire section selected?
Open Office v. 4.0.0
Windows 8.1
ramrick

Post by ramrick »

It will be nice if we have a button to insert references and when we click it many types come up, we choose one by clicking and reference with relevant blanks show up, we type data on it and click insert and it is listed on references.We suggest how to improve Word, but they always charge us for it, thanks a billion for the free service, will be nice to have someone send packages to Universities around the world so students work can be accepted in this format, thanks again
ram
open office 4.1 possibly and windows 8
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

ramrick wrote:It will be nice if we have a button to insert references and when we click it many types come up, we choose one by clicking and reference with relevant blanks show up, we type data on it and click insert and it is listed on references.We suggest how to improve Word, but they always charge us for it, thanks a billion for the free service, will be nice to have someone send packages to Universities around the world so students work can be accepted in this format, thanks again
ram

I don't really understannd what you want here but have a look at Zotero
Zotero Styles
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Mitchel Cohen

Re: editing an Index

Post by Mitchel Cohen »

I'm trying to index a book in OpenOffice. One (of several) problem we encounter is that every time I manually delete an entry, the deleted material comes back when I re-open index.

I've followed whatever directions I could find in the manual and on the forum.

The closest I come is to click on "index entry" in the Edit menu, but it is grayed and unable to open. I went to Tools and Options, and checked ENABLE in "Cursor in protected area," but it still doesn't allow me to check the "index entry" (still grayed).

Thank you.

Mitchel
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

After you delete an Index entry, do you rebuild the index? The Index and Tables of content/illustrations etc are not dynamic - they must be rebuilt to update.

This you do by right clicking on the Index (or the Table) and choosing Update Index/Table.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Mitchel Cohen

Post by Mitchel Cohen »

Thank you. I manually deleted one entry in the index, hit Save, and hit update Index/Table, and everything I deleted came back again.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Then the /Insert /Indexes and Tables /Entry item may have had "Main entry" and/or "Apply to all similar texts" checked; which could me that all instances of a word were automatically flagged as Index entries I think the AltSearch extension will identify and remove such extraneous entries, but am not certain.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS