[Solved] Tahoma fonts

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
jrbreton

[Solved] Tahoma fonts

Post by jrbreton »

This is a small one, but one I need fixed. I am occasionally using the arrow fonts from the Tahoma collection. They work just find in Writer. However, when I translate the file into a .pdf format, one of the arrows does not transcribe correctly. Just one. The incorrect one returns a fond in the Garamond ITC font set, which is my basic usage.
Is this just a bug, and can you provide a patch? Thanks
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows W2k
acknak

Re: tahoma fonts

Post by acknak »

Can you attach a sample file that demonstrates the problem?

The actual Writer file would be best; the pdf you get might also be helpful.

Also, I'm not sure I understand what ".. arrow fonts from the Tahoma collection ..." means. I've only heard of the "Tahoma" font, never a collection. Is the font (set?) available for download somewhere?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Font Vendor of the Tahoma font is: Microsoft Corp. :twisted:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fon ... ?FMID=1131
Maybe the license of this font do not enable the embedding into the pdf export. (Please read the licenses... I have not read them... ;) )

Please check the settings of the PDF export.
One of the settings of PDF export function is (in AOO4.1):

File - Export to PDF - General (TAB) - "Embed the standard fonts"
(Sorry, my AOO 4.1 is Hungarian, maybe the names of the menu items do not matches.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

...and in the LibreOffice:

https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Export_as_PDF
General

Sets general PDF export options.
Embed OpenDocument file
This setting enables you to export the document as a .pdf file containing two file formats: PDF and ODF. In PDF viewers it behaves like a normal .pdf file and it remains fully editable in LibreOffice.
PDF/A-1a

Converts to the PDF/A-1a format.
This is defined as an electronic document file format for long term preservation. All fonts that were used in the source document will be embedded into the generated PDF file. PDF tags will be written.
PDF Export LO.png
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
jrbreton

Re: Tahoma fonts

Post by jrbreton »

Thanks for replying zizi64. The fonts in question belong to Symbol, not Tahoma. I use the PDF/A-1a format which in the past has worked well. The past usage was under Windows; the present usage is under a LINUX based OS. I have prepared two files, on ODF the other PDF to illustrate the problem, but I do not know how to attach them to this email.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

See "Upload attachement" below the message window (named: "post a reply"). You can attache three piece of (max. 128 Kib size) file, or you can link your huge-size file from a public WEB-storage place (from your Google drive - for example).
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
acknak

Post by acknak »

I received a sample file & pdf by email.

Your .odt works properly for me--it displays and exports to pdf as expected. So it could be something to do with your copy of the Symbol font.

I'm not sure what's happening, but I'm fairly sure the answer is "stay away from the Symbol font". It's a leftover from pre-Unicode days and uses a non-standard encoding and (as far as I can see) has a great many "quirks" in the way it's put together: if I open the ttf font file in FontForge, I get many, many warning messages, like "The glyph named existential is mapped to U+0024. But its name indicates it should be mapped to U+2203." I'm not sure what that means but it sounds like it could cause trouble.

Unicode provides all the symbols, and standard Unicode fonts cover the most common ones, including arrows. These standard characters & fonts have always converted to pdf correctly for me.

@jbreton:
If you need more info, I suggest that you attach your file here (or I can do it). Maybe someone else can figure out what's happening.
Attachments
symbold_unicode.odt
(10.05 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
jrbreton

Post by jrbreton »

AMDG

Thank you acknack for your insightful reply. I copied the arrow from the table you sent me and pasted it into the document. The pasted arrow remained an arrow when converted into the pdf file. So we can mark this problem solved.
I am still curious and would like to learn how to use the unicodes. Writer still indicates the new font as the arrow Symbol font, although if I insert the arrow through the INSERT-SPECIAL CHARACTER Symbol table, the problem reappears.

Is there a named font collection I can incorporate into the font sets to keep me out of this problem. Or can I insert the unicode designation directly into the text?

Thanks again so much for your help.

JRBreton
acknak

Re: [Solved] Tahoma fonts

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for.

There's nothing wrong with using the Symbol font, it just isn't necessary. Better to stick with the standard characters and avoid the need for a special font.

I find the special character dialog that comes with OO to be a bit confusing because it seems to make you pick both a specific font and then a character from that font. I prefer to use a separate character map utility where I can insert a character without specifying a particular font.