Double spacing

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
baewards

Double spacing

Post by baewards »

How do I get automatic double spacing at the end of a line? I'm typing a manuscript and double spacing is required.
OpenOffice 4.1 OSX 10.9.4
acknak

Re: double spacing

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

Do you mean double spacing between lines?

If so, right-click > Edit Paragraph style > Indents & Spacing > Line spacing: Double

If not, maybe you can tell us a bit more about what you need.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
baewards

Re: Double spacing

Post by baewards »

Thank you for your quick response.

I did what you instructed and chose 'Double' for line spacing (which IS what I meant), but I don't seem to be able to get it to work. Must I set it for 'Double' before I begin the document? I'm already on page 3 having manually double spaced after every line. What do I do next?
OpenOffice 4.1 OSX 10.9.4
acknak

Re: Double spacing

Post by acknak »

Just use your manual spacing if that works for you.

Or go back and take out all the empty lines. Line spacing only applies to lines within the same paragraph. By manually adding the empty lines, each line becomes a separate paragraph, and the line spacing setting has no effect between paragraphs.

If you change the paragraph style, it will apply to all paragraphs using that style, whether they already exist or are typed later.

You can also select all the text and change the setting, instead of changing the style. Just right-click > Line spacing > Double.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23