Clear Formatting Shortcut?

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
seashan

Clear Formatting Shortcut?

Post by seashan »

I've looked around for an answer to this and what little I saw seemed to suggest there is no way to create a shortcut for "clear formatting" from the styles drop down menu. Not "default formatting" for which a shortcut already exists and isn't that useful for me, but "clear formatting." I was also having trouble getting posts on the forum to load so it's possible I missed something.

The last post I saw addressing this question was over a year old and given the recent new update, I was desperately hoping this might be something that's possible now. I tried to take a look around after updating but didn't see it listed in the formatting options for shortcuts. Please someone tell me I'm missing something and it's possible to do?
OpenOffice 4.1.0 on Windows Vista
RusselB

Re: Clear Formatting Shortcut?

Post by RusselB »

Maybe I'm missing something here, but can you explain the difference between what you would get using Clear Formatting compared to using Default Formatting?

To my knowledge, if you have text formatted, and then clear the formatting, it will revert to the default formatting.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
seashan

Post by seashan »

RusselB wrote:Maybe I'm missing something here, but can you explain the difference between what you would get using Clear Formatting compared to using Default Formatting?

To my knowledge, if you have text formatted, and then clear the formatting, it will revert to the default formatting.
Default formatting and its shortcut removes manually entered formatting. It would clear text I had made bold, for instance.
If I copy/paste something into a document and it's say, heading 2, and I want it to be removed, I have to use clear formatting from the drop down menu. The default formatting shortcut in this case would do nothing.

For reference, here's an earlier post talking about this same problem.
OpenOffice 4.1.0 on Windows Vista
acknak

Post by acknak »

There is a keyboard shortcut, pre-defined in OOo/AOO, that's close to what you want: Ctrl+Shift+0 (digit zero).

As far as I can tell, that shortcut applies the paragraph style "Default" to all selected text. Pre-defined shortcut Ctrl+0 applies the "Text body" pp style.

The "Clear Formatting" dropdown seems to also remove all character formatting, including character styles, which Ctrl+Shift+0 does NOT do.

It's possible to assign a shortcut that applies the character style "Default" to the selected text; this will remove any applied character styles but not direct character formatting.

So for an equivalent to the dropdown it looks like you'd have to combine Ctrl+Shift+0 (apply "Default" pp style) and Ctrl+M (remove all character formatting).

NOTE: If you're trying to remove formatting from pasted content, it's easier to use Edit > Paste Special, as Unformatted text. That's available from both the toolbar and a keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Alt+Shift+V.
 Edit: PS: 
Here's a shot at summarizing all the different "clear formatting" functions.

Under Tools > Customize > Keyboard, I found Ctrl+Shift+X linked to a function called "Remove direct character formats" but it doesn't seem to do anything at all.
Attachments
AOO_Writer_clear_formatting_20140514a.odt
(12.59 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

seashan wrote:If I copy/paste something into a document and it's say, heading 2, and I want it to be removed, I have to use clear formatting from the drop down menu. The default formatting shortcut in this case would do nothing.
I can no longer exist without Steve Millar's PureText which is absolutely magic. Install it and it sits quietly in the background. But when you want to remove the formatting from something on the clipboard, just type Windows/v instead of crtl/v. All formatting is removed and the text picks up the formatting from where the cursor is. It works in any application (but you must be running Windows).
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Under Linux the middle mouse button inserts the previous text selection without formatting.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice