[Solved] Defining chapter names

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
wfdave

[Solved] Defining chapter names

Post by wfdave »

I am trying to set up chapter name in the header. Define "Heading 1" as the chapter name. The first page is fine.

But subsequent pages drop the "Heading 1" definition and pick up the first line of the new page as a new "Heading 1". All the text is styled as "Text body". Why is it picking up a new "Heading 1"?
Last edited by wfdave on Mon May 12, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0penOffice 4.0.1 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: defining chapter names

Post by RoryOF »

The Chapter name must be terminated with an Enter, not a Ctrl Enter, Shift Enter, or Alt Enter. That line (now a single line paragraph) should display in the styles chosen for Heading 1.

Are you trying to automate the process, so that Heading 1 style forces a page break?

It would be helpful if you could upload a short sample file (say three chapter start pages).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
wfdave

Post by wfdave »

Attached is an example.
Why does chapter name change on each page?
Attachments
test.odt
(33.46 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Your problem is Direct Formatting. I'll try and do an analysis later, but it looks as if I may not get to it tonight. Remove the direct formatting (Select an item, then Ctrl M) Use Headings 2 and 3 for the subheadings of the document. If these do not suit as defined, modify them by /Format/ Styles and Formatting, Click on first icon from left for Paragraph styles; right click on the style to be modified and and select Modify from the popup menu.

Must go now.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
wfdave

Post by wfdave »

I don't get it.
If I change some "Text body" text to bold, it reclasses the line as a heading style? What about when it takes a blank line as a header?
I changed chapter def to "Heading 2" and reset the Heading 2 style so no direct formatting is used - same problem.
Hagar Delest

Re: Defining chapter names

Post by Hagar Delest »

You've set the outline of the text to Level 1, therefore, all your text is considered as a heading 1. This is why it's taken into account in the header of each page.
Your header paragraph style is also set to Level 1 in the outline.

There is plenty of direct formatting. You need to remove all of it. Check your paragraph styles (Header, Text Body, ...) by right clicking in each of them, then select Edit Paragraph Style and in the Outline & Numbering tab, set the Outline level to Text body.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

wfdave wrote:I don't get it. ...
It can be confusing at first, especially if you try to get started by trial and error, or if you're working with a document converted from some other software's document format (MS Word, for example). For whatever reason, the structure of your document looks quite jumbled up. The best course may be to remove all the formatting and start over. If you want to get a feel for how this is normally done, see my tutorial example, here: [Example] Document structure and numbering

There are (at least) three different concepts involved here:
• the paragraph's level in the document outline
• the formatting of the paragraph
• the numbering of the paragraph

Paragraphs that are part of the document outline are handled according to their outline level. A paragraph can get its outline level a couple of different ways--neither has anything to do with what the paragraph looks like (bold, size, etc). OO Writer considers top-level (level 1) paragraphs to be chapter titles.

The usual way for a paragraph to get an outline level is based on the paragraph style applied to the paragraph. Applying any of the pre-defined "Heading N" styles will also set its level in the document outline: Heading 1 style sets outline level 1 (chapter title); Heading 2 = level 2, and so on.

However, you can directly assign any paragraph to be part of the document outline through Format > Paragraph > Outline & Numbering > Outline level. This seems to be why Writer considers your headings as chapter titles: they have outline level 1 (look in the status bar, or check Format > Paragraph > Outline & Numbering > Outline level).

If you want numbered headings in the document outline, you have to specifically configure what heading styles go with what outline levels and how they should be numbered. This is done through Tools > Outline Numbering.

If you just want a numbered list--a set of numbered paragraphs--that's something else again.

Your document uses (so called) "inline headings" which are not supported by OO Writer. I would just break out the headings into separate paragraphs and configure the numbering for them. If the inline layout is critical, you can just use paragraph numbering and adjust the appearance to look like a heading.

Here's a cleaned-up version you can take a look at:
Attachments
playing_autoharp_sample.odt
(19.7 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
wfdave

Re: Solved - Defining chapter names

Post by wfdave »

Hum, I think I got it now. The demo was helpful.
Imagine page breaks being defined with the beginning para - who would have thunk it.