Chapter titles in header

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
jasemilly

Chapter titles in header

Post by jasemilly »

HI I am trying to figure out how to get the chapter title to appear in the header section. I have realised I need to use page styles do I have to create a different style for each chapter at the moment the entire document says Chapter one in the header area.

I am creating a training document and would like the chapter title at the top of each page.

I have looked but haven't found a clear example.

thanks
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
acknak

Re: chapter titles in header

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!
jasemilly wrote:... I need to use page styles do I have to create a different style for each chapter ...
I don't think that's actually the case. You just need to put a "chapter title" field in the header, it will change automatically for each chapter if you have the document headings configured properly.

There's a tutorial example, here: [Example] Document structure and numbering
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If I remember correctly putting the Chapter field in a header doesn't work for the first page of a chapter, as the chapter field has not been reached when the page header is being setup by the display section of OpenOffice. It is OK in a footer on the first page of a chapter, as it has been reached when the footer is set up.
 Edit: Corrected in the light of floris v's comment in the next posting 
A common procedure is to use a special style, which uses no header, for first page of a chapter. Such a chapter first page might have the Chapter name displayed and set slightly down the page, thus obviating need for the header. If a chapter is set to start on a separate page, without a header, it would be useful to place the page number in its footer, even if the balance of the chapter had only headers displaying chapter details and the page number.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

The chapter name will display the chapter title on the first page of that chapter if it is in the very first paragraph of that page.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Thanks, floris v.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS