Keyboard shortcuts for characters I created

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
AlexanderKMS

Keyboard shortcuts for characters I created

Post by AlexanderKMS »

So I searched how to do this but all I could find were different languages and special characters. I'm creating a language for this Sci-Fi universe I made up. I was able to turn the letters I created in OO Drawing into being characters in OO Writing, but I have to copy and paste the character every time. It wouldn't be a problem if I only used them occasionally but literally every character I type is one I made. So it takes forever to type anything. I'm guessing it isn't possible, but I figured that I should try. I've checked every tool/formatting/etc. device that I could find. I'd also be happy to hear ideas about how else I might make the process more efficient if anyone has one.
Thank you,
-Alexander
Attachments
This would have taken about 15 seconds if I were able to use shortcuts
This would have taken about 15 seconds if I were able to use shortcuts
OpenOffice 4.0.1
Windows 7 Home Premium
Hagar Delest

Re: Keyboard shortcuts for characters I created

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Perhaps you could create your own font. No idea how much work it needs but then it would be much easier.
Else, have a look at the AutoText feature.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There were (probably still are) font generation applications, which can be used to generate ttf and other format fonts. I can recollect FontMonger (now long discontinued). I'd suggest Googling for such an application.
 Edit: A quick search found this list http://mashable.com/2011/11/17/free-fon ... ion-tools/ 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Making a font is definitely the way to go for long-term ease of entry. I guess you'd need a keyboard mapping also.

However, if you only have short passages to display in your alphabet, then you might want to stick to using custom graphics, since that doesn't require any special fonts to display properly. PDF files and newer versions of LibreOffice support font embedding; OO would require the font to be separately installed.

Using OO Draw, it's quite easy to make "letter tiles" that can be copied and dragged into place to make words and sentences and those can then be copied into a Writer document.

I do hope you plan to stick to short passages in the alien language--large chunks of unreadable text would be pretty unpleasant, for me at least.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23