[Solved] Variable order and availability to page header

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
PairOdachs

[Solved] Variable order and availability to page header

Post by PairOdachs »

Related background: I'm trying to get different types of metadata into page headers, and think I have everything working (at a proof-of-concept level) except for first page headers. Here's a thread with more info - http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... 30&t=61019

If I have multiple variables in a document, only the ones placed prior to any other text are available to the first page's header. Is this expected behavior?

e.g.,
variable1 <-- available
variable2 <-- available
paragraph text
variable3 <-- NOT available

EDIT: added example attachment
Attachments
variables order and heading visibility.odt
Example where the first two variables are visible in the header, but a third variable -- which comes after other document text -- is not visible in the header.
(8.43 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
Last edited by PairOdachs on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.4.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.8
Hagar Delest

Re: Variable order and availability to page header

Post by Hagar Delest »

As said in your previous thread, AOO looks at the first paragraph of the page. Since your variable3 is not in the first paragraph, it can't appear in the header. Move it and the field is populated immediately.

That's the way it works.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10