Using OpenOffice with CVS

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
javalava

Using OpenOffice with CVS

Post by javalava »

For years I've been using LaTeX, but now the rest of the world has overtaken me I'd better "get with the program" and OpenOffice seems to meet my needs well. I want to write documents that include formulae and diagrams, publish them in both HTML and PDF format and keep a record of all development (currently I use CVS for that).

I like the OpenOffice Math, and Draw as I now use Impress instead of PowerPoint. The one thing that stops me from moving over to Writer is the lack of CVS support. This seems strange as the OpenDocument format is in XML, compressed in ZIP format. I therefore have three questions:

1. Is there a way to configure OpenOffice to work with CVS? I notice that CVS is used in the development, and they must surely need to include some documentation in that.

2. Does Writer support text-based files that could be used with CVS? I need to be able to save embedded pictures and formulae, as well as the proper formatting.

3. Is there any way to inhibit the compression stage of saving? It would be adequate if the the ZIP file structure were saved into a directory instead.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: Using OpenOffice with CVS

Post by DrewJensen »

HI, there are some articles around about OOo and CVS - I don't have the links right off hand, sorry.

FYI, if you are interested in perhaps looking at Subversion instead of CVS you might want to check out this extension that integrates directly into the OpenOffice.org application.

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/node/230
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
javalava

Re: Using OpenOffice with CVS

Post by javalava »

Thanks, I think I know the articles you mean. They all treat OpenOffice files as binaries. This is what has to happen with Word files and is not what I want. I need the documents to be in ASCII format so versioning is available on a line-by-line basis, as it is at the moment (using raw text files for LaTeX).

The OOoSVN project is no longer supported. Instead, the effort has migrated to a more `professional' approach (http://sourceforge.net/projects/odfsvn). There's nothing there yet, but it might be worth checking out in a few months.