Rearranging footnotes into columns

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
AnPrionsaBeag

Rearranging footnotes into columns

Post by AnPrionsaBeag »

I'm writing an Occitan dictionary with footnotes for local pronunciations. As these are rarely more than a couple of words long, I need to rearrange them into columns, the way Wikipedia does. If it is already possible, then be kind enough as to explain how. If not, this would be a welcome and valuable addition for users like me. Thanks.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows Vista
RGB

Re: Rearranging footnotes into columns

Post by RGB »

Footnotes will use the column layout of the page style or section from which they were introduced, so there is no easy way to do what you need.
As alternative you can set your page style to have columns but insert the text on a full page width frame, but of course this gives problems with text flow between pages... Frames can be linked, so when one frame is full the text flows to the next one, but if you have hundreds of pages this means hundreds of frames so it is not a practical alternative.
So no, it is not possible, sorry.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice