Use of arbitrary DTD in OOo Writer

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
Legislator

Use of arbitrary DTD in OOo Writer

Post by Legislator »

I would like to have information about how, and to what extent, one can use an arbitrary DTD in Writer.

In other words, I would like to use Writer as the foundation for an XML editor using my own DTD.

It is my understanding that this can be done, though Writer would not function as a validating editor. However, perhaps my understanding is not correct.

I would appreciate direct information about this, or links to sites that would be helpful to me.

Thanks!

Legislator
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Use of arbitrary DTD in OOo Writer

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Legislator

Post by Legislator »

Villeroy, thanks for the response.

What I am looking for, though, is something different. These seem to be transformations, whereas what I am interested in is something like (but better than!) what one can do in Word 2007, where you can actually load an arbitrary DTD into Word, display (or not) the tags in the WordprocessingML / Office Open XML, and at least perform some operations with them. Far from a true XML editor like Arbortext or XMetaL, but better than not being able to do that trick at all.

So is this possible at all in OOo, or must one work exclusively with ODF and then perform a transformation to the arbitrary DTD?
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

Writer is not a general SGML editing suite. It only supports the ODF DTDs and imported transformation there unto. Sorry.
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.