[Solved] Copying and Pasting between documents

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
jtmdjtmd

[Solved] Copying and Pasting between documents

Post by jtmdjtmd »

I am new to Open Office, and I am new to this forum. I hope this is not considered a basic question. I seem to be unable to copy and paste btween documents, i.e. I cannot copy from one document in Open Office to another document open in Open Office. I cannot figure out why this is. Copying and pasting between documents is a big way I do my writing and research, and I am stifled without this ability. Is there any one who has encountered a similar problem, or knows what I may be doing wrong to solve this problem? Please help.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
JohnV
Volunteer

Re: Copying and Pasting between documents

Post by JohnV »

This should not be an issue at all. Make sure the paste document is not open as read only (this will be shown in the title bar).

Can you c&p in the same document?
jtmdjtmd

Post by jtmdjtmd »

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. It should be a standard operation. I have a very watered down version of Microsoft Office that I'm trying to replace with Open Office. This cutting and pasting between documents was always a big part of how I manage my files. What seems to happen is that I can highlight the text I want to copy, and right click and copy it, but then when I go to the other document (which is not labled "read only") and right click to paste, there's no paste option. Furthermore, the paste option in the tool bar is greyed out, and so is the paste option in the edit dropdown menu. In fact, all editing options are greyed out in this way, except for a few options that I don't want to or can't use. Another problem is that the PC Open Office is installed on is never (and will never) be connected to the Internet, and so updates are not very easy to perform. Are there any suggestions?
probe1
Volunteer

Post by probe1 »

Please state your OOo version and operating system.

Which file format is the target document?

Where is the cursor pointing to?

Could you check your clipboard content (is there any?)?
Note: my OOo 2.3.1 standard installation (test machine WinXP) performs a copy within Writer with CRTL+Enter keyboard combination, not CTRL+C as other applications do.

No internet connecting: how about updating (if necessary) from a stick, where you've downloaded newer installation files?
Cheers
Winfried

DateTime2 extension: insert date, time or timestamp, formatted to your needs
JohnV
Volunteer

Post by JohnV »

Note: my OOo 2.3.1 standard installation (test machine WinXP) performs a copy within Writer with CRTL+Enter keyboard combination, not CTRL+C as other applications do.
That's strange! Ctrl+Enter just deletes selected text for me or, if none is selected, inserts a page break. Sure you didn't remap this key combo.
No internet connecting: how about updating (if necessary) from a stick, where you've downloaded newer installation files?
Or from a CD copy of the installation file. I do that often. Download in office, copy to CD and cart it home.
jtmdjtmd

Post by jtmdjtmd »

The OOo verison is 2.3.0 and OS is WinXP Home

The file format I'm copying from, I tried both .odt and .rtf and copying to was .odt

The cursor was never pointing anywhere unusual, if you mean was it acting strange...

Actually, you'll (never) believe this. I just tried it again, after waking my computer up and restarting OOo and the operation seems to work fine. I guess I'll be satisfied with that solution!! Sorry to take ya'lls time up with such a trivial problem. But like I said that operation has been essential to the way I manage my files, even in the .wps format I mentioned. Thank you for your time and assistance. jtmdjtmd
probe1
Volunteer

Post by probe1 »

Apologies: combination to copy is CTRL+Ins - no customization (2.3.1 for Windows from project, german version)

Fine copy/pasting is working as expected, jtmdjtmd. Enjoy OOo.
Cheers
Winfried

DateTime2 extension: insert date, time or timestamp, formatted to your needs
Sita

Re: [Solved] Copying and Pasting between documents

Post by Sita »

I had no luck either until I positioned my cursor at the end of my document, went to "insert-file", looked for the file and hit "open". This brought the opened document into the first document at the place where my cursor was positioned.

Hope this helps.