mail merge to a single record of a database

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
dartlady

mail merge to a single record of a database

Post by dartlady »

I am new to this program so please bear with me. When using Microsoft Office I have been using the mail merge feature to make templates of evaluations and reports in Word and merging in the specific information of a single student from my large Access database. I can not seem to figure out how to merge a single record in OO. Every time I try it wants to merge all of the records. I saw on a similar post someone mentioned a grey box to click on, but I just don't see it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. It is really important for me to be able to do this
JohnV
Volunteer

Re: mail merge to a single record of a database

Post by JohnV »

This assumes you have a Writer document containing fields from your database. Two ways:

Easiest - Open document, click Print icon, answer "yes" to the "form letter" query, select record with gray box to its left and print.

Open document, press F4, open your database, open the Tables item, click your table - this part may happen automatically , select record and click the Data to Fields icon found above the field names. If the italic part happens automatically then this may be the easiest way.
dartlady

Post by dartlady »

I don't seem to have a Data to Fields icon today. I searched all over the place for it, even checked every icon available in the custom toolbars. I did see it yesterday, but when I clicked on it, it changed the data viewable on the screen, but when I went to complete the merge to a new file it still wanted to merge all 400+ records. That's a lotta files.

It looks like I will probably be able to print to a file and do what I want to do, it is just a few extra steps I am trying to avoid. It is bad enough that I have to export all of my files to a format that all of the people I work with are using (yes, all different versions of Word from 6.0 up to 2003).
JohnV
Volunteer

Post by JohnV »

Normally a Writer doc has two top toolbars that contain icons. When you press F4 a third, with icons, should be added. The Data to Fields icon is on the new one and is the 4th from right. It will be inactive until at least 1 record is selected.

If you don't get the third toolbar then let us know.

Using either of the methods I outlined you should never have to print or print to file all of your records. It sounds like you may be using Tools > Mail Merge Wizard and I definitely didn't mention that.