Avery 5162 label and margins

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
rgoldsmith

Avery 5162 label and margins

Post by rgoldsmith »

When I try to do labels (In Text Document>File>New>Labels) using a standard Avery address label 5162 it has it's own defined margins. The top is 0.83 inches. The labels look great on the screen but they print down too far on the label sheet and do not line up with the labels. I solved the problem by going the Format>Page>Margins before printing and changing the top margin to zero. It appears that the program OO is adding the two margins together, i.e. the default one inch document margin and the preset margin for the label. The program should be fixed, or is there another simpler way? Changing the Avery Label to zero margin doesn't do it, because the Text Document page margin is still 1.0 inches. RWG

Edit: Changed subject, was Labels and margins 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
chademclean

Re: Labels and margins

Post by chademclean »

I am experiencing a similar issue with Writer. I have attempted to print using the File -> New -> Labels -> Avery Letter, 5962 Address label format in Writer. For some reason, the Page size default is "User" and 8.55 x 10.18. Since the labels print to a letter sized piece of paper, I changed the Page format to Letter - results - I loose the entire second column of labels.

Is there a fix for this? I am attempting to complete a mail merge of a few hundred address records. I keep revising the label format in attempt to get an exact fit, it's a pain.

I have downloaded the WorldLabel.com format for the Avery 5962 label style, however I like using the Syncronize Label button that Writer has available with it. My goal is for each address label to contain a unique address.

Also, why is the merged data changing from creating individual unique labels (what I want) to one full page (14 labels) of the same Address? I am careful to select NO when prompted "Update All Links" when I open the document.

Open to suggestions.
acknak

Post by acknak »

You do not need to change the page format; the strange "user" paper size is needed to get the layout correct.

If the labels do not align properly on the label stock, you can adjust the top and left margins to align them. You can make the bottom margin as small as you want to prevent the labels from overflowing a single page.

If you use the File > New > Labels > Labels dialog to insert database fields for your labels, then the "wizard" will also set up the necessary "next record" fields for you. Each "next record" field advances to the next address in the data source. If you don't have any "next record" fields, then the data source never advances, and all the labels get the same data.

Again, if you skipped using the Labels tab to set up your data fields, then you have to insert the next record fields manually.

You may be able to check for the presence of the "next record" field using View > Field Names, but this often makes the label content too long to fit in the label space.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
chademclean

Post by chademclean »

Thanks for the reply.

Is there another way to have my printer recognize the paper size (which is actually 8.5"x11") when it is time to print? My printer realizes that the paper size it expects to print on is regular Letter size.

I understand the concept of adding "next record" to each new label containing unique information. How do you include the "synchronize labels" button?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Is there another way to have my printer recognize the paper size...?
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the question.

Do you mean that your printer refuses to print on actual letter-size paper unless the document paper size is exactly 8.5" x 11"?

My printer, at least, doesn't seem to care at all what paper size is set in the document.

If your printer is objecting to the strange paper size, you should be able to change the page format to use standard letter-size paper, with a wider right margin--enough to make the content width of the page the same as it was originally.
How do you include the "synchronize labels" button?
You only get the button if you use File > New > Labels > Options > Synchronize contents: YES when you first set up the label document. You can't add the button to an existing document that doesn't have it.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23