[Solved] TOC headaches (Hyperlinks and then some)

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
LadyThorne

[Solved] TOC headaches (Hyperlinks and then some)

Post by LadyThorne »

All right, this started out as a simple "my TOC Hyperlinks aren't working, what am I doing wrong" question, but I've found some other issues that if you'd find out why I'd be a very happy author.

First, Generating hyperlinks. I've formatted my TOC as the example shows: LS #E E LE T #. Still not hyperlinking.
Then, preparing the document for you guys to look at without giving you my story... I've discovered that, even with the same format and content on the page, the pages are not the same length and I cannot find out why. (If you could rubber duck that, I'd be ecstatic.)
The other issues I'd like answered/resolved, is : is there any way to have my actual chapter titles be in one font, but my TOC generate them in another? (like my text is in Aladdin, but my TOC I want in Times New Roman for legibility)

Oh, also noted that chapter two, the tab stop isn't working right. I had to use a second tab stop to get the text to line up right after the number but then it shows up in the TOC as a second space throwing everything off. :crazy:

I appreciate any and all help, this one's giving me a migraine and distracting me from my writing process. I'm getting a wee OCD here.

File For OO correction.odt
(18.81 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.4 on Windows 10 pro
RoryOF

Re: TOC headaches (Hyperlinks and then some)

Post by RoryOF »

On Index/Table tab of ToC dialog, choose Create from "Outline" and then Update ToC

I think the problem with chapter 2 is that there is an extra space in front of the tab.

Your text will be more legible in a serif font.

Just get on with your writing - leave fine formatting until later.

Going offline now - other things to do.

To change the ToC fonts, note that the styles used are as specified on ToC Styles tab; you need to modify the fonts defined in the styles used.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
LadyThorne

Post by LadyThorne »

That extra space was generated by the TOC, its actually an extra tab, cause the tabs aren't being consistent or going to .5 like they're supposed to. I want the TOC in Time New Roman, and they text of the chapters in the content will be Aladdin, There is a reason. and it is not relevent to any of my questions.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It was merely some friendly advice from a retired designer.

I haven't time at present to examine your file further, will try tomorrow if it hasn't been sorted before then. I am at the end of my day.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The extra space in the Chapter 2 entry is not in the document text. It is coming from the Index Entry which has two spaces between the chapter number and the title. Delete one of the spaces from the Index Entry. However, I don't think hyperlinks work with index marks.

Following up on RoryOF's advice to create the TOC from "Outline" instead of "Index marks", you will need to go to Tools > Outline Numbering, select Level 1 and set the Paragraph style to "TOC Regent". This should make the hyperlinks in the TOC active after it has been updated.

To fix the font problem you need to stop using the TOC Regent font for the TOC entries. Right-click the TOC and select Edit Index/Table. On the Insert Index/Table dialog, select the Styles tab. Under "Levels" select "Level 1 [TOC Regent]". Under "Paragraph Styles" select "Contents 1". Click the arrow to replace "TOC Regent" with "Contents 1". Note that this only affects the TOC, not the main text. You can now change the font in the TOC by changing the Contents 1 paragraph style font setting.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I forgot to mention that you don't need the "E#" on the Entries structure line. "E#" is needed when chapters are numbered automatically, but you're numbering them manually.
LadyThorne

Post by LadyThorne »

Not needing #E: OH! Had no idea, thanks.
"To fix the font problem you need to stop using the TOC Regent font for the TOC entries. Right-click the TOC and select Edit Index/Table. On the Insert Index/Table dialog, select the Styles tab. Under "Levels" select "Level 1 [TOC Regent]". Under "Paragraph Styles" select "Contents 1". Click the arrow to replace "TOC Regent" with "Contents 1". Note that this only affects the TOC, not the main text. You can now change the font in the TOC by changing the Contents 1 paragraph style font setting.": I thought that was telling which styles to build the TOC from. Like it goes through the doc and find all the instances of that style and add those to the TOC.

As for the rest of it... I'm not sure about this outline thing. I don't use outlines, but I'll see if I can figure it out. I'll let you know.

Meanwhile, can you maybe explain why the tabs aren't working right, though? I'm trying to line everything up with consistency across chapters and it will look unprofessional if the text portions are not the same distance from the chapter numbers. I have the tabs set (I think) at .5, and it's not so close it has no choice, but the tab (Chapter 2 is the most obvious example) isn't going to the full .5. It's just refusing. and I can't understand why.
Last edited by LadyThorne on Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As Bill said,
The extra space in the Chapter 2 entry is not in the document text. It is coming from the Index Entry which has two spaces between the chapter number and the title. Delete one of the spaces from the Index Entry.
Click your cursor in that area on the Index tab, and press Delete.
LadyThorne

Post by LadyThorne »

Ok, I've figured out the outline thing, but still have a few problems. As for the #E not being needed... well, stupid thing won't generate chapter numbers with or without it, cause it autogenerating those would be nice for lining things up neatly and evenly across the board.
so it looks more like:
1....Halifax
2....York
12...Cuenca ...etc (Only without the dots cause this forum won't allow for multiple spaces.

If I do that manually, I'll have to bounce back and forth to get the spacing right.

Oh, is there a way to edit an entry? So I don't have to delete and remake it? Everything I can find currently that I think edits, just makes a new one, then I have to delete the text and rewrite and that's getting old.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To use multiple spaces or layout on Forum, surround your example with [code] [/code] tags.

Right align your numbers, or else add in the trailing space after 1.. 9; think about it - if your chapters number 100 or beyond you will need more spaces.

Or adjust settings on /Tools/ Outline Numbering : position tab.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed BBCODE for [code][/code]
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

LadyThorne wrote:As for the #E not being needed... well, stupid thing won't generate chapter numbers with or without it, cause it autogenerating those would be nice for lining things up neatly and evenly across the board.
so it looks more like:
1....Halifax
2....York
12...Cuenca ...etc (Only without the dots cause this forum won't allow for multiple spaces.
The chapter numbers are generated by Outline Numbering. See the attached file which I modified to use automatic chapter numbering and created the TOC using the "Outline" option. I've added tabs after the chapter numbers to align the text in the chapter titles.
File For OO correction (1).odt
(20.23 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
There was a numbering style applied to the chapter 2 title that was preventing automatic numbering. I had to remove the numbering style and reapply the TOC Regent style to the heading to get the automatic numbering to work.
LadyThorne

Post by LadyThorne »

Thanks Bill. This fixed so many errors. It took me a while, but I got it working and can even play around a little now. Thank you. I really needed to rubber duck this cause I would never have found that chapter 2 error. I love this program because it is so versatile and looks like the last MS Office product I actually liked ( I think 2002 was the last one before the hated ribbon set up), and help like this is so forthcoming! (I think I may even credit you for the help in the acknowledgements of this book when I have it done.)