[Solved] Table of Contents -- Front matter page numbering

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
Horse

[Solved] Table of Contents -- Front matter page numbering

Post by Horse »

Sorry for the bother. I think I should be able to find the answer, but I haven't and hope you can help. (Using Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10.)
I have a book with front matter's page styles distinct from book's body. In the front matter headers I inserted the page number (Insert > Fields > Other -- Document tab, Type > page) and selected Roman (i, ii, iii) as the Format. Beautiful, Just the way I want it. BUT, the Roman numerals don't carry over to the ToC. I know there must be some description of how to automatically have the ToC pick up the formatting, but I can't find it.
Is there any way, short of manually reformating the ToC to get the Roman numerals into the Table of Contents?
Thanks to anyone who can point me to the solution.
Last edited by Horse on Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Higbie
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Win 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Table of Contents -- Front matter

Post by Bill »

The TOC uses the format defined in the Page Style, not the format defined in the Field. Set the format "As Page style" in the field and set the format as Roman (i, ii, iii, ...) in the page style.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Horse

Post by Horse »

I thought the fix was something like that, but I haven't been able to find it. I just went through all the menus for the page style and can't find anything resembling "As Page Style." (I started from the list of Page Styles and selected Modify for the one that applies to the frontmatter. Screenshots of the two page style editor tabs that looked most promising are attached. (None of the others had anything I could find.)
Attachments
ToCScreenshots.pdf
(32.58 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
Lee Higbie
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Page style.png
Page style.png (7.52 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Horse

Post by Horse »

Thank you. Sorry I was so dense I didn't think of that myself. Happy New Year, Hagar.
For the slow learners like me, the pop-up in Hagar's explanation (at least for me) came from (Modify page style) > Page tab > Format (on right 2/3 way down).
You guys who monitor these discussions are wonderful.
Lee Higbie
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Table of Contents -- Front matter

Post by Bill »

Horse wrote:I just went through all the menus for the page style and can't find anything resembling "As Page Style."
"As Page Style" is the default Format setting for Page Number fields. It is on the Fields dialog, not the Page Style dialog.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Horse

Re: [Solved] Table of Contents -- Front matter

Post by Horse »

Thank you, Bill and Happy New Year to you.
Lee Higbie