[Solved] Footer disappears after page 266

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
GrumpyGrampa

[Solved] Footer disappears after page 266

Post by GrumpyGrampa »

Hello,

I'm trying to write a book using OpenOffice. The documents are saved in .odt format.

It shows page numbers up to page 266 in the footer, exactly as I want. After that, the text body extends down and there is no footer, no page number.

How can I correct this?

FWIW, I have already expanded the memory available to OpenOffice.

(I also have another concern, which will go in a separate post.)

Thank you for any help.

Ted Shoemaker
GrumpyGrampa

OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
Last edited by GrumpyGrampa on Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ted Shoemaker
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Footer disappears after page 266

Post by RoryOF »

Does Page 267 (first unnumbered page) use the same page style as page 266 (last numbered page)? The page style in use where the cursor is positioned is shown about 1/3 way from left on the Status Bar bottom bar of OO window). In which format are you Saving? .odt is best.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also, has the file ever been edited by MS Word, or at some time Saved in Ms Word format (.doc), even though now in .odt format??
GrumpyGrampa

Post by GrumpyGrampa »

To answer all the questions:
The document is saved in .odt format.
A long time ago, ancestors of this document were saved in .doc format, in OpenOffice, not MS Word.
The format of the pages with footer is Default. The formats of the pages without footer: default in places, Preformatted in places, Convert7 in places. I don't know why; I didn't do that.
I changed all the pages to Default format. The footers did NOT appear, but other things did disappear, like background color of the pages. So I undid the changes.
Ted Shoemaker
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The problems are most probably arising from the previous use of .doc format. If Preformatted and Convert7 are Page styles - right click on the Page style shown in Status Bar to confirm - that right click will show all the Page Styles defined, go to the Stylist (/Format /Styles and Formatting, or F11 key), click on the fourth icon from left on that window to show Page Styles, Right click on each of these styles and choose Delete from the popup. You will get a message saying that the style in in use, do you want to delete it, which you do. When you delete it, it will be replaced by Default Page Style.
 Edit: You will have to define your own custom page styles if you have specific formatting requirements, such as page background colours. 
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Convert7 in places. I don't know why; I didn't do that.
A long time ago, ancestors of this document were saved in .doc format, in OpenOffice, not MS Word.
The Convert7 and more similar names of styles are the result of the converting to/from MS Office format. (Because the MS Formats can not handle the Page Styles - there is not such category in the MS .doc format).

You must fully reformat your ODF document to eliminate the results of the double conversion.

The conversion always will change some formatting properties. NEVER convert the original document into foreign file formats. Create/Export/Save as a COPY of the original ODF document if you need a foreign file format too.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
GrumpyGrampa

Post by GrumpyGrampa »

Zizi64 wrote: You must fully reformat your ODF document to eliminate the results of the double conversion.

I did that. Everything now reads as being in default format. The original problem remains. The first 266 pages have a footer; the rest do not.
Ted Shoemaker
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Please distinguish between text in Default format, and Pages in Default format. These are different Styles - the first (text) is a Paragraph style, the second is a Page style.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Go to the Stylist (F11 key, as before). Click on 4th icon from left, for Page Styles, and in the bottom bar of the stylist window select Applied Styles from the dropdown. What styles are shown in use for Page Styles?
GrumpyGrampa

Post by GrumpyGrampa »

That was what it took. Thank you.

For those who read this later, looking for the answer:
F11 --> popup window --> Double-click default

Problem appears to be SOLVED

Thank you
Ted Shoemaker
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10