Text to be entered at lefthand inner page of a card

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
Elderman

Text to be entered at lefthand inner page of a card

Post by Elderman »

Hello,
I cannot find the command in Open Office Writer which allows text editing at the 2nd card page (at the backside of the card cover picture).
I finished already the text in the 1st blank card page, which is usually the right one of both inner card pages, if you open the card.

Who has some experience with the card format (to be downloaded) and could help me?
Regards from Elderman
Open Office 4.1.3 Windows 7 last version
RoryOF

Re: Text to be entered at lefthand inner page of a card

Post by RoryOF »

Are you making the card as a single fold sheet, or as a French fold card?

If the first, set four pages in sequence (some may need to be blank), then print as a brochure (/File /Print, select Page Layout tab)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Elderman

Post by Elderman »

Thank you, RoryOF,
for your quick answer. Now I guess, what I didn't take into account, i.e. that the 4 card pages displayed at my screen (as soon as I got the card downloaded) cannot be regarded as single pages independent from each other. I'm sure that the entry into the next still empty card page is done either automatically when the preceding one is written full or by insertion of the "next-page" command at the intended end of the already written part there. I'll try tomorrow.

Regards from Elderman
Open Office 4.1.3 Windows 7 last version
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If your card has short texts or images on each page, insertion of a page break after such text/image keeps it on the correct page. If however, your inner text is narrative and of indeterminate length you may decide not to introduce a Page Break between pages 2 and 3 and allow the text to flow naturally. It all depends how it looks on the finished output.

My method of handling a pre-printed card is to make an insert, usually a folded sheet of paper (in my case A4, in US case Letter), and enter my text into two adjoining frames, or a large one row table of two cells without printing borders, print it out, trim the sheet to fit within the card neatly, fold it and insert into the card with a dab of glue-stick. Using this method allows a nice layout of one's text, which one can print a number of times at the expense of a few sheets of paper, rather than of ruining pre-printed cards.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS