[Solved] Scaling images when changing margins in a book.

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
crankyduke

[Solved] Scaling images when changing margins in a book.

Post by crankyduke »

First post, but it should be an interesting question.

I have used AOO to publish seven novels now, converting the ODT files to epubs using Calibre and writing out well-formatted PDF that Kindle publishing utilizes with good results. In the process I have learned how to use styles, format footers with page numbers, generate ToC's and a lot of other good stuff. Reading the forum here has been a source of excellent information and pointers to tutorials that I have studied with care.

My next project will involve placing a photograph at the beginning of each chapter, and that is where my question comes in. I have searched the internet and the forums and not found an answer.

Is it possible to have an image set up so that when the margins are changed the picture will scale so that it remains between the margins?

For instance, if I am working in the default set of margins and size (8.5x11" 0.79" margins all around) , and I insert a picture, Insert>Picture>From File , the picture is scaled to fit between the margins. If I then change to a Page Style for printing a "trade paperback" (6x9" 0.6 inner, 0.35" outer margins) the same picture will now extend past the edges of the paper. If I then delete the picture and re-insert it, it is once again scaled to fit between the margins. If I then switch back to the default, the picture stays at the smaller size.

It's altogether possible that what I want to do can't be done, but I'd like someone with more experience to verify that before I give up.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
OpenOffice 4.17 on Windoze 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Scaling images when changing margins in a book.

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

In LO 7.0, there is an option in the Type tab of the picture properties, the Size section has a Relative to field which can be set to Paragraph area or Entire page.
It should meet your need.
I don't remember if there is such option in AOO.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
crankyduke

Post by crankyduke »

Thank you. It looks as if I am going to have to download LibreOffice and install it. Once I have done so, I will be sure to check back in and let you know if it worked or not. I appreciate the quick reply.

By the way, this is a forum for AOO. Does it also serve as a forum for LO? I ask because you are a moderator but are apparently using LO.

Never Mind -- I just noticed the information written in white on very pale pale grey: "User community support forum for Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice and all the OpenOffice.org derivatives"
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I tried this option with LO 7.1.3.2 and that setting didn't make any difference. It does exactly the same thing as AOO 4.1.10. When making the page size smaller, the image extends into the margin and is not readjusted automatically to fit the new text area.

It does work! There are "Relative to" settings for the Width and the Height. I had changed the setting for the Height instead of the Width. After changing the setting for the Width and selecting Keep ratio for the Height, it worked.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
crankyduke

Post by crankyduke »

W00T! Download and install of LO is definitely in the near future for me. Thank you both very much!