Word Doc docx file with embedded spreadsheet

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here

Word Doc docx file with embedded spreadsheet

Postby huskerkevin » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:59 pm

I have many Word docs (docx) files with embedded spreadsheets (Office 2021 and 2016 created on the lates version of Windows). Spreadsheets are embedded and not linked. File contains several dozen pages. Each page begins with a date, typed at the top, several blank lines, followed by an embedded spread. When I open the docx file in Writer, I can see the date, the curser can moved down several lines, then stops, like writer is "seeing" something. But there are no embedded spreadsheets. What am I doing wrong?
Open Office 4.1.9 on MacOS, Apple OS 11.2.3
huskerkevin

Re: Word Doc docx file with embedded spreadsheet

Postby RusselB » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:03 am

Welcome to the Forums.
it's very possible, even likely, that you are doing nothing wrong. OpenOffice just might not recognize the embedded spreadsheets.
You could try using LibreOffice which has a higher compatibility level with Microsoft's formats than what OpenOffice does. In fact, this would be my first suggestion.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby huskerkevin » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:07 am

Thanks, RusselB! I'll give it a try.
huskerkevin

Postby Villeroy » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:59 pm

OLE (object linking and embedding) is a Microsoft technology. The embedded object is opened by whatever application uses the right magic spells in the Windows registry. OpenOffice does not register itself as host for embedded Microsoft douments.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby huskerkevin » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:31 pm

Sadly typical. LbreOffice won't open the embedded spreadsheet either. Looks like I’ll have to send more money to Microsoft.

Thanks to all who commented.
huskerkevin

Postby RusselB » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:04 pm

Before sending more money, you might try http://www.zamzar.com to convert the file to an OpenDocument format
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Return to Advanced Uses