Grammar and Spelling

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
JstDavid

Grammar and Spelling

Post by JstDavid »

Hi. I'm working hard on a novel and I find that the Grammar and Spell Check is inadequate, at best. And I'm not trying to offend anyone. I understand that programers work hard to produce OpenOffice and it's addons. I think you all deserve a pat on the back or maybe some real recognition. But I really need a more powerful Grammar and Spell check. I'm looking for something that one can only find the internet. But I don't want to put my novel on some website that could do anything with my documents/novel etc.
I've learned that some of these sites store your documents in their data bases and actually sell your material to other organizations or persons. That's wrong. That's why I don't use them. I'm hoping that someone will understand what I'm asking for and produce a more powerful, thorough Grammar and Spell Check tool. I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs this or even requested it. So please, someone create a new app for OpenOffice, PLEASE. . .
OpenOffice 4.1.6 / Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Grammar and Spelling

Post by RoryOF »

Try LanguageTool, from LanguageTool.org, for grammar.

What's wrong with the Spellcheck? If you have the correct dictionary installed (must be for your exact strain of English) it works well. Put your novel-specific words, such as names, places etc into a User Dictionary.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JstDavid

Re: Grammar and Spelling

Post by JstDavid »

Okay. Thank you. I'm going to do as you suggest. Hope you have a great day.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 / Windows 10