[Solved] Positioning address lines within a label

Using them, Making them, Finding them
i75Dave

[Solved] Positioning address lines within a label

Post by i75Dave »

I'm using Avery 5163 which is 5 rows and 2 columns of 2" x 4" mailing labels.

I want to move the address block so it's 1" in from the left label edge and 1 1/2" from the label top.

Avery 5163 has the following characteristics: Horiz Pitch: 4.19", Vert Pitch: 2.00", Left Margin: 0.16", Top Margin; 0.5"

I've played around with changes to all of these numbers but cannot seem to achieve the address positioning I need.

Can somebody help me please?

Dave.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: OP used a technique which "created a messy format but worked well"; Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Win 7 64bit
MrProgrammer

Re: Positioning address lines within a label

Post by MrProgrammer »

i75Dave wrote:I want to move the address block so it's 1" in from the left label edge and 1 1/2" from the label top.
Insert a frame in the upper left label which is 1" from the left and 1½" from the top. Review paragraph and frame spacing settings. Put your database fields in the new frame, for example, use Cut and Paste. Synchronize the remaining labels.

Read about frames in Help → Index or in User Guides (PDF) or searching for topics about this in the Writer Forum.
i75Dave wrote:Avery 5163 has the following characteristics: Horiz Pitch: 4.19", Vert Pitch: 2.00", Left Margin: 0.16", Top Margin; 0.5"
Since these labels are 2" high and you want the address 1½" from its top edge, you have only a very small portion of the label for your data.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
i75Dave

Post by i75Dave »

Thanks Mr. Programmer, I'm getting close but not there yet. I followed your instructions; here are the steps so far:

1. Created my database (Label_Test.odb) which contains 1 page of labels (10) for Avery 5163.

2. [Toolbar] File -> New -> Labels. This creates the label format (template?) page.

3. Cut (Ctl/C) the database fields from the top left label.

4. [Toolbar] Insert -> Frame. There are 3 choices under this sub menu (Frame interactively, Frame, Floating Frame), I checked everywhere in the Writer documentation manual and could find no help there, so chose "Frame."

5. Placed the Frame in the top left label. Pasted (Ctl/V) the database fields.

6. Manually positioned the Frame exactly where I needed the address data to appear within the top left label.

7. Could not find a prompt or command for your final step - "Synchronize the remaining labels." Searched everywhere for a "synchronize" command prompt. I've searched the manual, the Tool bar, the main menu items, right clicked on the label for a Properties choice - all with no success.

I know I'm close to my solution but where can I find the "Synchronize" button or other control to perform this?

Once I've been able to synchronize the labels, I believe I will have the label format I need.

Thanks,

Dave.
MrProgrammer

Re: NOT SOLVED - Positioning address lines within a label

Post by MrProgrammer »

i75Dave wrote:Could not find a prompt or command for your final step - "Synchronize the remaining labels." Searched everywhere for a "synchronize" command prompt. I've searched the manual, the Tool bar, the main menu items, right clicked on the label for a Properties choice - all with no success.
Sorry to hear you are having trouble finding this information.
• Help → Index → synchronizing;labels and business cards OR
Chapter 11 Using Mail Merge, pages 12 and 15 OR
Writer forum search found 192 matches for synchronize

You will find it is usually quicker to search the forum (last idea) than to wait for a response. Please consider performing a search before posting.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Bill
Volunteer

Re: NOT SOLVED - Positioning address lines within a label

Post by Bill »

i75Dave wrote:I want to move the address block so it's 1" in from the left label edge and 1 1/2" from the label top.

Avery 5163 has the following characteristics: Horiz Pitch: 4.19", Vert Pitch: 2.00", Left Margin: 0.16", Top Margin; 0.5"
You're basically reducing the usable label size to 3" wide by 1/2" high while keeping the horizontal and vertical pitch the same. Try changing the label size to 3" wide by 1/2" high then add 1" to the left margin and 1 1/2" to the top margin. Print a test document and modify the dimensions if necessary.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
i75Dave

Post by i75Dave »

Thanks, it sounds workable. The only problem is that my needs were a week ago - I had to get a large mailing out of here. It's now done and gone.

Thinking outside the box, what I did was create several new fields in the name and address spreadsheet. A "vertical" field filled with 16 spaces and a "horizontal" field also with 16 spaces. When building the profile, I applied these fields in the appropriate places. It created a messy format but worked well.

Cheers,

Dave.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

While your needs that prompted your posting are now in the past, if you have the same or similar need in the future, you now have various alternatives to try.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.