Avery 5160 Template

Using them, Making them, Finding them
RiversideRealty

Avery 5160 Template

Post by RiversideRealty »

I need some help!!!! The company I work for uses Avery 5160 labels. I have found the template and downloaded it, however, I am having some issues. It downloads and opens just fine, but when it opens, all I get where the labels are supposed to be is a gray box. Previously when I used the template, the boxes (labels) were outlined so I knew where to type and it had a white background. Now all I have is a big gray box. What can I do to fix this? I have done everything I know to do! PLEASE HELP!!! As we print labels on a daily basis, I have to have this issue fixed. Also, I should note that when I download the template to other computers in our office, it works just fine.
OpenOffice4.1.6 on Windows
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Avery 5160 Template

Post by Villeroy »

File>New>Labels...
Brand: Avery Letter SIze
Type: 5160
Tab Options: Synchronize
[New Document]
------------------
Edit the top-left label, then hit the sync button
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RiversideRealty

I have tried this and it does not work. When I do this and print the labels, they do not match up-meaning I have text outside of the label area. I don't need all of the labels to have the same text as we use these labels for our files and each file is individual.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may help to use a fixed pitch font and limit your lines to the number of those characters that fit on a label. If the texts then take positions not aligned on the labels, that needs to be investigated and there will be further information needed.
 Edit: Might your printer be set for a different Paper Size than the template? One for letter, the other for A4, for example. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Please confirm: You have both tried a downloaded template (from Avery.com, I'd guess) and used the label wizard in Writer (as explained by Villeroy)?

I ask for this confirmation because I know how easy it is to miss the distinction between the two, especially when you are in a hurry (as it seems from what you write). No offense intended.

Note that the Avery website only offers a Word template for the 5160 sheets, none specifically for Writer. Word and Writer handle spacing differently, so using a Word template in Writer will offset all content.

The Writer wizard should work. If that fails, I'd suspect the printer setup. Do you use driver software from the maker of the printer? Are the paper guides properly adjusted? Have you removed other paper from the tray where you put the label sheets?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The attached template has been created with LibreOffice 6.1. The result differs from the one I get with OpenOffice. OpenOffice applies a wrong paper size.
Attachments
Avery_5160.ott
(8.9 KiB) Downloaded 929 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Villeroy wrote:OpenOffice applies a wrong paper size.
Yes - the old A4/US_Letter problem! The template is designed for US Letter and will expect the paper in the printer to be US_Letter; for European printers (indeed, for most of the world outside USA) the printer will use A4 paper as standard and that needs to be replaced with either US_Letter or the Avery 5160 label sheets.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

When I create the label sheet with OpenOffice, the paper size is user defined, a little bit smaller than US Legal Letter whereas LibreOffice applies US Letter.

AOO: 214.7 x 267.1 mm
LO: 215.9 x 279.4 mm (US Letter)
A4: 210.0 x 297.0 mm
Last edited by Villeroy on Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I've re-checked: I'm using a pre-release AOO 4.20 and the page size is shown as US_Letter, with the exact dimensions you give against your LO entry, Villeroy.

The dimensions you give against the AOO entry are 8.5 x 10.5 inches (allowing for minor discrepancies in decimal places in conversions); from memory of 25+ years ago, this is untrimmed UK Large Post Quarto, which would trim down to 8" x 10", a common printing and writing size in UK/Ireland pre A4.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I think they fixed the paper size in 4.2. Unfortunately, nobody knows if AOO 4.2. will ever be published. The simple workaround for AOO 4.1. is correcting the page size. In the long run we will all switch to LibreOffice anyway.
RiversideRealty

I am not downloading from Avery. I am downloading from Apache. I have checked the paper size and it seems to match up to my printer settings so I am not sure what the issue is. I think the issue is formatting. I have been researching on the web to see if I can figure out how to format, but I am having no success.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

What you downloaded from Apache is the OpenOffice software. What you may have downloaded from Avery is one of their label templates, such as https://www.avery.com/templates/5160. There are no templates downloadable from Apache.
When you download the Word (doc) version of that label from Avery, you get a page with one table, 10 rows by 3 columns. As far as I can see, the Avery document is the same as the one generated by OpenOffice after I have corrected the page size. The advantage of the version generated by OpenOffice is that it can synchronize the other 29 tiles after editing the first one. The Word document requires that you opy one table cell and paste it across the other 29 cells.
You can change the format any way you like so your content fits into the (rather small) labels.
Attachments
Avery5160EasyPeelAddressLabels.doc
Word template, one table, 3x10 as downloaded from Avery
(36 KiB) Downloaded 836 times
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

If everything looks right in the document (settings and preview), I can only think of two things which can pull content off alignment:
  • If content is copied from other software, it may have formatting which adjusts alignment (offset, "outdent", tables or other objects which override margins).
  • Your printer may have issues. Check that paper guides are correctly set: not too tight and not too loose. Check paper feed traction (any grey "skid marks" on the paper?). Use manual feed tray if there is one.
RiversideRealty

Okay, I must have gotten confused. I did download the template. And I tried to open the template that is attached. I am getting the same thing, I have a complete gray background where the table boundaries should be. I am not sure what is going on.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

menu:Tools>Options>Writer>View: Tables = Checked (why should anybody want to hide away tables?)
RiversideRealty

I did that and I am still getting the gray background. How do I format it so that that gray is gone and the boundary lines are still visible?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

At this point I see 2 options:
1) Reset your OpenOffice user profile: [Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile
2) Install better software. AOO is outdated and no longer maintained. Since 2011 the legitimate successor to OpenOffice can be downloaded from https://libreoffice.org/
AOOisdead
Banned

Post by AOOisdead »

RiversideRealty; go here: https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ - download this. You won't have the gray background. Update all the computers in your office and your bosses will love you.
Libreoffice 6.2.2
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Yeah, man! I already pointed her/him to LibreOffice. I always do if the switch to LO can solve a problem painlessly. This forum is not the best place to push forward your legitimate agenda. Not enough AOO users here. Instead we have a growing user base of LO users because LO does not maintain any serious support forum like this one. They could have had it all back in 2011 but they rejected to host this knowledge base.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Update all the computers in your office and your bosses will love you
Never mind that this might just be an absolute violation of the company's IT policies.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
AOOisdead
Banned

Post by AOOisdead »

Common sense would dictate that an employee doesn't install software on a computer without proper approval and consent.

But I don't think you understand that this guy works for a realty firm using Open Office. Which tells me it's a small shop and there is no IT policy. Just a hard working small business looking for less expensive IT. Meanwhile, irresponsible volunteers continue to push dead software onto these hard working people because they have some weird ideological fetish for a dead software project.
Libreoffice 6.2.2
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

AOOisdead wrote:Meanwhile, irresponsible volunteers continue to push dead software
These volunteers help end users vice others that post only single anwser.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

AOOisdead wrote:Common sense would dictate that an employee doesn't install software on a computer without proper approval and consent.
Correct. The person who installs software on a business computer, should know what (s)he's doing. That holds for no matter what software, as well for Apache OpenOffice as for MS Office. If you don't know how it works, get training, or install something that you do know.
AOOisdead wrote:But I don't think you understand that this guy works for a realty firm using Open Office. Which tells me it's a small shop and there is no IT policy. Just a hard working small business looking for less expensive IT. Meanwhile, irresponsible volunteers continue to push dead software onto these hard working people because they have some weird ideological fetish for a dead software project.
I beg your pardon. It's not that we're aggressively advertising OpenOffice to these small business workers.
Top of page information wrote:User community support forum for Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice and all the OpenOffice.org derivatives
LibreOffice is right in your face, see?

It's irresponsible people who don't bother to get informed about the software that they download free of charge, forgetting that it takes time to learn to work with software like office suites, and time is money. They also don't bother to get informed about what 'compatibility' means. On the other hand, pretty much all active volunteers on this forum have for all the years that I have been active here, that's from the start, have advised professional users to use MS Office if they have to share files with other professional users who work with MS Office. What kind of a small business are you, anyway, if you can't afford $12.50 per month for MS Office 365?

Chill. Quit the bad mouthing (which is a sure sign of immaturity, which is irresponsible) and slander. Read the forum survival guide, then you can offer your sincere apologies to hard working people who try to help other people. Now I wasted a lot of my time for you. Next time, make sure you know what you're talking about. :evil:
Last edited by robleyd on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix link
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum