Searching for very small book template

Using them, Making them, Finding them
neverendingwonder

Searching for very small book template

Post by neverendingwonder »

I would like to layout a book made from an 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper folded in quarters, so that each page of the book is 4.25" X 5.5". I've searched the template repository and there's nothing like that. Does anyone know if such a template exists? Thanks for any suggestions or guidance.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 7
robleyd

Re: Searching for very small book template

Post by robleyd »

If you see a template that otherwise suits you, could you not change the page size and save the changed document as your template?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It's covered in the manual. Either:

1. Use an 8.5 x 11 page size for editing, and use the print dialogue to choose to print four pages per sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper size, or

2. Go Format > Page > Page. In Format choose User and set the page size to 4.5 x 5.5.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Wordprocessors usually have support for printing to single fold (folio). Look for "brochure printing" or similar phrases.

Print for multiple fold, like quarto (as requested here), sexto or octavo, requires some pages to be turned upside down. This is not available with any wordprocessing software I have used. Plugins may exist, but I haven't been able to locate any in the official repository.

DTP software may (should?) have it. However, a quick search did not reveal any solution for Scribus. Sorry!

If your print hardware can handle it, my best bet would be brochure print on half letter size paper (which may be listed as "Statement", "Half-sheet", or "Organizer Large" sheet size).
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

keme wrote:Print for multiple fold, like quarto (as requested here), sexto or octavo, requires some pages to be turned upside down. This is not available with any wordprocessing software I have used.
Workarounds include

1. Cut the 8.5 x 11 paper in half. Print as a brochure on the 5.5 x 8.5 paper.

2. Print to a PDF. Use Adobe Reader Take Snapshot to take images of the pages in the PDF. Save as PNG files with identical pixel counts. Arrange the images in a table on an 8.5 x 11 page. Print the page. Inversion and cropping etc can be done with IrfanView. See the Tutorial on PDF for Snapshot.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

John_Ha's suggestion for printing on half letter (Brochure) sized paper is simplest, provided your printer can handle (and duplex, if a doublesided printer) that paper size.

In the past I did see a PDF application that imposed smaller pages on a larger sheet for printing doublesided, but I cannot remember where or when (+5 years ago?).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:provided your printer can handle (and duplex, if a doublesided printer) that paper size.
.. and, of course, you don't have to cut the paper in half before printing. Lie to the printer and tell it the sheet is 5.5" tall. Print.

Now turn the sheet upside down and print on the blank half.

Or cut the sheet in half and print in landscape.

There are so many options ...

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

One's local print shop will often chop a ream (or quantity) of paper in half (sometimes out of kindness, other times to make you go away!).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS