[Solved] Ineffective Templating

Using them, Making them, Finding them
DarkFlame

Re: [Solved] Ineffective Templating

Post by DarkFlame »

Someone beat me to marking my own thread "Solved," but it has definitely been solved - at least the templating part.

I have managed to create the template for my recipes to match the parameters used in my MS-Word.docx files. This was a HUGE step toward being able to use the OOWriter program. I really appreciate ALL the patience everyone afforded me in achieving this rudimentary level of proficiency. I now have a default template that matches my recipes (99% of my word processing). When I need letterhead or envelopes or thank-you notes or anything else, I can now create a template, save it as needed, and have it available whenever I need to use it. This really increases the functionality of my word processing using OOWriter.

THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH for pushing, prodding, shoving, pulling me in the direction I needed to get here!!!

David Labens
San Antonio, TX
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1703 with AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 6400+ 3.2ghz with 8gb RAM
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

We advise working in .odt format until the file is complete; then, and only then, Save As to any other format. It is best to use.doc format instead of .docx.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
DarkFlame

Post by DarkFlame »

RoryOF wrote:We advise working in .odt format until the file is complete; then, and only then, Save As to any other format. It is best to use.doc format instead of .docx.
I was hoping to import my 3000+ source files from MS-Word.docx into OOW. I am convinced that it cannot happen without having to edit EVERY. SINGLE. FILE. They don't hit the page size correctly when importing (I use 5.5"x8.5" statement paper for my cookbooks). But, I am convinced that it cannot do that satisfactorily.

SO, I am going to take all the recipes I have actually worked through, to the point that I want to publish them, and manually copy/paste from the .docx file into the .odt file. Then, I'll delete the .docx file knowing that I have it in a distributable format. I think the .odt format may lend itself to web publishing better, but that is a whole 'nother thing - worst case, I can do what I was doing with the .docx files & copy the text from the source and paste into the destination page.

So, I will be using the .odt format as my primary editor going forward. Thank you!
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1703 with AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 6400+ 3.2ghz with 8gb RAM
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I suggest you establish the .odt files in a different directory, and maintain the .docx file just in case.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I am convinced that it cannot happen without having to edit EVERY. SINGLE. FILE.
If you want automatize this procedure, then YOU. MUST. WRITE. a macro for this task...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.